Thursday, January 17, 2008

On doodling and art

I'm intrigued by the very kind and positive responses to my doodle. It's something I've been doing one way or another my whole life.

The thing is I grew up with people telling me I couldn't draw (or sing for that matter). I remember the art teacher I had in seventh grade rather scathingly telling me that "trees don't look like that" in response to one assignment. And I remember spending hours painstakingly doing a painting and receiving a C on it because she just didn't like it.

I also remember checking "how to draw" books out of the library that same year. One was about how to draw native costumes of various countries; when I was going through old stuff a few weeks ago, I found some of those drawings. One summer when I was in elementary school I drew pages and pages of the backs of people, especially heads, because I could never draw faces to my own satisfaction.

Woman Warrior had the same kind of experiences in art classes that I did. The only time I've ever complained to a teacher about grades was to her art teacher in 5th grade (to no avail, I might add). She rose above it, however, and took a drawing and painting class in college, and she painted for a while after college. I love her paintings, and others have complimented them.

It never occurred to me that my doodles could be good for anything. I don't think I'll suddenly start thinking of myself as an artist, but I'll certainly keep doodling, and who knows where it will lead? If nothing else, I won't be bored in meetings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doodling is a fantastic way to spend time in meetings or class. I took a class many years ago about curriculum design and training in a corporate setting. The instructor told us that doodling is one way that people learn - the doodles help to create connections in the brain about what is being heard so that the listener can more easily remember it. Since then I've stopped feeling guilty about my doodling and instead recognize it as a tool for learning. Also, I tend to be rather chatty and I've found that drawing and doodling help keep me quiet - since I'm busy with my hands, less energy needs to come out through my mouth, I guess.

Doodle on!

Anonymous said...

They probably told Monet that "trees don't look like that" as well. I like your art!

Yankee, Transferred said...

That doodle with the arrow? I do one almost exactly like that! Many of my doodles are arrow-related. I wonder if that has some significance?

Woman Warrior said...

I never took a painting class. I started painting the year after I graduated from college, mostly on a whim. But I haven't done much art since I've been in Korea. Maybe that's something I should start doing again?

Snickollet said...

I am behind on blog reading and commenting, but add me to the chorus of people who think your doodles are marvelous. As soon as I saw your work I perked up and said, "Oooh! Pretty!"