The train got me here right on time late yesterday afternoon. I spent a lot of time gazing out the window at the ever-changing landscape as we went first west to Tampa and then back east and south. There were miles and miles and miles of citrus groves, followed by some pretty barren areas dotted with palms and pines and scrub oakes, but very little sign of human habitation. There were a few fields of cattle grazing so there must have been farms but they were not very visible. And then you emerge back into civilzation which grows increasingly congested.
Once I was here I needed to taka a taxi to the confernce center. I had google mapped it, and it was about a 5 minute drive. So I gave the address to the driver, who seemed to know wehre it was but then proceeded to get lost and drive around for about 30 minutes looking for it. It turned into a very expensive taxi ride. I paid it, but I wish now I'd been a bit more assertive about saying that I shouldn't have been charged so much.
The conference has beeen great so far, with a really interesting mix of people. The day has been long, but I can say that I was never bored, nor did I feel like my time was being wasted or manipulated. And the weather here has been perfect--warm and sunny with a gentle breeze. So far so good.
On an unrelated note, I'm typing this on my iPad. Using both a touch screen and an external keyboard is different--I have to stop and think occassionally about doing something that would be obvious with a mouse. But I'm sure it will soon be second nature. It's funny to see how many iPads are here, too--at least half a dozen spotted so far among 22 people.
1 comment:
That happened to me in Chicago. Not local? I'll take you for a ride and make lots of money.
Post a Comment