I'm leaving at o'dark thirty in the morning to board a train that will take me to Florida. I know that people think I'm crazy to take the train for such a long trip, but I HATE to fly. And the stress of having to deal with airports and take-offs and landings would completely undo any relaxation I might get from this trip. As it happens, Amtrak goes right to the place where my conference is, and it stops in the city where my mother and sister live, too, so it works out.
I splurged and got a sleeper for tomorrow night.The conference starts about thirty minutes after I get there, so I thought having a place to really sleep and change clothes might be a good idea. I didn't get the sleeper for the way home, but I've slept on a train before and ti wasn't too bad. Overall, I like traveling by train; I can read and watch movies (even as I type I'm downloading Toy Story 3 and Lost Season 6), and I have a little bit of prep work for the conference left to do, so I won't be bored.
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep up with NaBloPoMo because I splurged a bit and got an iPad this week--with 3G and wifi. In fact, I'm typing on said iPad right now with a spiffy wireless keyboard--so much easier than the built in one, on which (like on my iPhone) I make multiple and stupid typos. I can justify the iPad because I will be able to use it for work and the keyboard makes it that much easier. The only thing I can't do is download any pictures I take because I didn't buy the adapter I need for that (which at this point seems silly but whatever.)
So I still have a stack of ironing to do--ironing before packing is always at least a partial exercise in futility, but I do it anyway. Glad tonight is fall back night!
1 comment:
I love the train. I'm a wuss, though--if I'm on a long distance, always get the sleeper. My back won't permit anything else, and believe me, I've tried. I don't mind flying, and will fly if the sleeper is way too expensive, as it will be on the trip coming up next month.
Enjoy your trip, and safe travels!
Post a Comment