Friday, November 19, 2010

Reenty is hard

I pulled into the driveway around 4:30 yesterday afternoon, came in and took a shower, started some laundry and then went over to the church to check the mail and get ready for a meeting.  Almost from the moment I walked in the door, nothing went as I expected it.

Most of it is non-momentous....just more of the same-old same-old things that happen--a plumbing leak, no heat in my office,  a problem with a staff member, all the aggravations that go with running a parish, or a small business for that matter. A couple of bigger, more complicated things thrown in for good measure, the details of which I don't need to go into here, but that are at the very least disappointing and at the most troubling.

Part of the conference I attended involved discernment around one's vocation. I went with some questions to ponder, and I left a clearer sense of how to focus on the next couple of years. I felt--and feel--good about that. I want that positive energy to help carry me over the rough spots that are inevitable. I just wish my bubble of positivity hadn't been pricked so soon. 

No comments: