I was
ordained as a priest. Before ordination it's hard (or at least it was for me) to imagine what it will really be like to be a priest. And now, a year later it is hard to describe it still. Years ago, before I became good friends with a priest, I was among those who tended to put priests on a pedestal--surely they must be holier, better connected to God, just "better" than regular people! But in fact, no. If anything our clay feet may be larger than those of others. Yet, being a priest is more than just a job. It does somehow change one's being in some ineffable way.
I am grateful each and every day for the privilege of being a priest. I am especially grateful for
- the children and the innocence and openness with which they come before God
- celebrating the eucharist--in solemn and beautiful settings and in places as simple and intimate as the front deck of my friends' house
- the way I am ministered to in the midst of ministering to others
- the privilege of being invited and allowed into the holy spaces in the lives of those to whom I minister, those whom I encounter regularly or those whom I meet perhaps just for a brief moment in time.
Thanks be to God.
10 comments:
Happy anniversary of priesthood. Thank you for sharing your gratitude list with us--I found it inspiring.
Blessings to you on this anniversary. May there be many, many more!
Congratulations on the anniversary of your ordination!
Blessings on this, your first anniversary of ordination to the priesthood. It will continue to be as much of a discovery years down the line. May God continue to give you 'an inquiring and discerning heart and the gift of joy and wonder in all of God's works.'
Anniversary blessings...I heartily endorse your sense of the amazing privilege of this calling - I'm just 6 months "older" thank you, and hope never to lose the sense of wonder at this. We are so blessed :-)
Happy Anniversary! I'm a few years behind you - by the Grace of God I'll be ordained in a couple of years. I appreciate so much your wisdom and your sense of awe and you travel down this road. It inspires me and gives me hope that maybe I'll make it through seminary alive.
Happy Anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
ppb, I like that idea!
I'm a little late, but congratulations. You have always seemed like a most wonderful priest.
(actually I had assumed that you had been a priest forever- you have that aura of wisdom and balance and centered-ness and kindness. I mean all those in a *good* way.)
Post a Comment