Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back, Safe, Home Again*

The Kid and I were supposed to come home yesterday but as the forecast had predicted, we awoke to a coating of ice on everything, and freezing rain still falling. Not wanting another hair-raising trip, I decided to stay in Maine another day even though the Kid had school today and I was supposed to be at work. We had another lovely day with our friends--brunch, playing board games, watching movies--all in all delightful. Today dawned bright and sunny with the snow and ice virtually all gone. And we had an uneventful trip home. Tomorrow it's back to school and work.

The sort of non-winter we're having ought to give pause to the global warming doubters of the world. Of course it could perhaps be just a "normal variation" in weather cycles, but January in New England with temps in the 40s and 50s and virtually no snow cover is not business as usual. We had a number of discussions this weekend about what could be done and whether we as individuals or collectively as a nation had the will to make the necessary changes to stop the warming trend. It's hard not just to throw up your hands in despair when you think about the magnitude of the problem. We need some real political leadership to instigate the large changes, and that is seriously lacking at this point.

While many have already packed away Christmas, my tree is still up and will be until the weekend at least. Epiphany--the 12th day of Christmas--is Saturday, so it may come down then. Or it may stay up longer... we'll see.


*This line comes from a Richard Scarry book featuring the Pig family. Mother Pig (Mama Pig?) would always say this as they arrived back home, and I started saying it when the kids were little. Old habits die hard, and I still say it from time to time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mom used to say, "well here we are, all the chickens are in the coop" when we all got home. I think she still says it.

chichimama said...

Hmm. We don't have that Scarry book! I thought we had them all, I'll have to go hunting! Glad you got home safely.