- We're in Maine visiting our friends D and J. We drove up yesterday in some of the worst weather I've driven in in a long while. When we left home it was cloudy, but well above freezing, and when I'd checked the weather forecast the day before no precipitation was called for. But as we approached the northern border of Masachusetts it began to snow--dry, swirly snow on the road, and not too he avy coming down. I was surprised but not worried. It quickly picked up and as we reached the bridge into Maine, the fun began....the bridge was very very icy. Traffic was moving slowly, but cars were sliding all over the place. We had to stop for cars ahead of us, and when I tried to start up again, I had the awful sensation of moving sideways instead of forwards. I could not get any forward traction, and I was trying very hard not to freak out. I tried backing up a little and then going forward but all I did was slide. I put on my blinkers and kept trying not to freak out. Finally a very kind man pulled up beside me and asked me if I was okay. With his advice to put the car in second gear and ride the clutch I was finally able to get going and inched my way across the bridge. The roads were slick much of the rest of the trip--what should have taken 5 hours took closer to seven and a half.
- But since we arrived we've had a wonderful time. Last night was dinner with a great group of friends--lots of good food, carol singing and conversation and laughing. Today we had a lovely brunch and this evening we went to a local first-night type celebration, although we opted to come home well before midnight. Now we are watching Garrison Keillor and (alternately) Times Square as we await the New Year.
- We also took a lovely walk in the snowy woods this morning.

I love the newly fallen snow....very beautiful and very peaceful.
- Pausing for a champagne toast at the stroke of midnight...Happy New Year everyone. May 2007 bring peace to us all.
- It is sad to see Dick Clark looking so decrepit. While it is good that he has recovered as much as he has, maybe there comes a time to gracefully retire.
- And while I love Prairie Home Companion, the New Year's show is long on singing and far too short on features like "Guy Noir". I'm just saying.
6 comments:
Happy New Year..and I hope the journey home is less eventful for you.
Yikes, you must have been an hour or two ahead of us; by the time we got to the bridge we were able to go 40 mph or so. I'm so glad you made the trip safely!
Glad you made it safely! Happy New Year, Mom!
I have to stealth-comment to laugh. New Year's Eve at my parents' house was *exactly* this: a few minutes of feeling sorry for Dick Clark, a champagne toast, and a bit too much music with Garrison Keillor. At one point during a fairly whiny performance by a young man, I turned to Mr. Blue and informed him sternly that I feared that his insistence on exposing LG to folk music would result in him growing up to be that guy.
Happy New Year!
(Disappearing back into my parents' living room. You didn't see me here...)
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment