Sunday, January 14, 2007

Dissed?

The scene: Me, still in vestments, greeting parishioners at the back of church at the end of the service; I get the back door because I preached today; the boss who celebrated the eucharist is at the side door.

Middle aged man to me: "Please tell the minister...."( what it was I was supposed to tell him isn't crucial here)

Me, thinking to self: What am I, chopped liver?

To be fair, this guy is the son of a parishioner and not a regular, but still...

3 comments:

chichimama said...

Grrr. People are idiots some times.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! That has happened to me a million times, but never while wearing vestments. I mean, duh. It usually happens to me when I am working at church in the afternoons (our office assistant only works mornings). So someone will come into the office and decide that I am the secretary. Actually, if it is the guy from the Gideon's or someone else I don't want to talk with, I've been know to play along and say, "Sure, I'll give the pastor the message." Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Combined with the sexist assumption comes another danger...that what you were to him wasn't chopped liver but the third point of a triangulation. "Please tell him what I can't bring myself to tell him, so that you do my dirty work." Passive, meet Aggressive.