Monday, January 22, 2007

Winter day

21/365
There is a small pond behind my house. Most of the year I can't see it because there is so much undergrowth between the stone wall and the pond. Even after things die back in the fall it isn't really obvious. But the last few days of cold have allowed it to freeze over and the dusting of snow we had early this morning makes it show up quite well.

22/365
The house I live in (the rectory) was built in 1937, and except for the kitchen it has never been remodeled although some small things have been change here and there. But there are a still a number of touches that make it seem old-fashioned even for a house built in the 30s. Two of the doors still have these brass locks with big keys. When I moved in, this one was grungy and didn't work, and the door itself was in terrible shape, but two retired men at the church stripped down the door, repaired and repainted it, and refurbished the lock.

2 comments:

Scrivener said...

I like that lock. Do you actually carry around a big brass key? Or do you just usually leave it in the lock like this or something?

Rev Dr Mom said...

Actually, this door isn't used very often and the key hangs on the wall. I leave the key in the lock on the front door. Downside--I can't unlock these doors from the outside. But I mostly use the door by the garage that has a conventional deadbolt.