Sunday, January 04, 2009

You really have to see this to believe it

You might remember that last summer new floors and new plumbing were installed in two of the rectory bathrooms and the washer and dryer were moved from the back hall to the "powder room" (which is really much more convenient). With all sorts of unexpected delays, the work was finished the week before Thanksgiving. I ended up with a lovely new vanity in the powder room and matching cabinets over the washer and dryer (and a new toilet, too).



But that's not the part you need to see to believe.

Ever since the last time the washer was moved (to install the light under the cabinets a couple of weeks ago) the washer has been "walking" during the spin cycle--not every load, but many of them. The washer seems to be level and I'm a bit flummoxed about why things are getting that out of balance. Any way, it travels.

So tonight I put a load in the wash and I knew from the amount of noise coming from the powder room that the washer was at it again. When I got there, this is what I found.




Really, doesn't it look like I put the washer that way on purpose? (I promise you I didn't).

So I don't know what to do to make the wahser stop doing this--it seems to be level and what I'm putting in is the same as always and I never had a problem before.

Maybe if I leave it this way and do some more laundry, it will work itself back around. Ha!

10 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

That's crazy!

Processing Counselor said...

How about putting a block on the floor. If the floor is wooden, nail a two by four in to block the movement. If it's cement get some heavy duty glue or cement and glue it down.) That should stop the travelling. Or maybe the machine-as my grandmother used to call them-is unhappy and is trying to escape. It's the vibration...

What Now? said...

That is wild! No advice here, but I certainly share your amazement.

chichimama said...

Huh. Are the settings right? I have been known to reset my washer to the "extra small" setting and then forget that I did it and leave it that way for days, which causes lots of racket and movement when too big a load is in there. But as M pointed out, most people check the settings every time they use the machine so I am assuming that probably isn't your problem ;-).

Also, are the clothes getting as "spun" as they used to? we just had to have something (I have no idea what) replaced in our machine because it wasn't spinning right, and that also helped the traveling issues.

But, wow. I am rather amazed by that! And even more amazed that the hoses didn't break...

Unknown said...

That is bizarre! I have a dancing washer, but I've never seen anything like that.

kathy a. said...

amazing! and weird.

Ianqui said...

I think what's really amazing is how it turned at such a perfect 90 degree angle. How did it do that without damaging the dryer?

susan said...

Truly bizarre. If you had tried to turn the washer that perfectly it wouldn't have fit.

Mom to Baby J said...

The ghost in your house must've done it. Your house IS haunted, right? Or maybe it was the MICE! Lol. Anyway, that's weird.

Musey_Me said...

weird!