Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday Five~Pancakes!

A light and fluffy Friday Five.

I love this one. Here's why--my first year in seminary we were supposed to go to a different church every Sunday to experience the rich variety of Episcopal churches and to scope out a place to do field work the next two years. So the Kid and I (often with the caffeinated priest) were all over Manhattan on Sundays, and we always went out for brunch afterwards. For some reason, I ordered pancakes quite often, and I became quite opinionated about the quality of pancakes! I still enjoy pancakes for brunch.

1. Scratch or mix? Buttermilk or plain?

Any of the above can be good, I think.

2. Pure and simple, or with additions cooked in?
With additions--blueberries, raspberries, bananas and pecans are all wonderful. And sweet potato or pumpkin pancakes can be divine.

3. For breakfast or for dinner?

Brunch please.

4. Preferred syrup or other topping? How about the best side dish?

REAL maple syrup please, preferrably from Vermont. I was most displeased when all that was available was that insipid fake stuff, and when I had to pay extra for real maple (though I did it). And crispy bacon is a good side, although I don't do that much any more since I as a general rule don't eat meat. (I do cheat for bacon sometimes though).

5. Favorite pancake restaurant?

There was a place in the Village whose name I can't remember (caffeinated priest, you had Thanksgiving there one year) that had divine blueberry pancakes. And if I recall correctly, Tom's Restaurant (the "Seinfeld diner" on the Upper West Side) had great banana nut pancakes (but bad syrup and instant Sanka for decaf coffee--ugh!) The Cowgirl Cafe in the Village (best brunch ever!) had great sweet potato pancakes. But honestly, I think maybe the best pancakes I've ever had were at the Shelburne Inn this fall, and what made them best was the incredible berry topping and real maple syrup.

Bonus: Maybe I can find the recipe later, but I must mention that I also love Icelandic pancakes, panokakur, very thin like crepes and often filled with jelly and dusted with powdered sugar, or just folded up with sugar.

6 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Icelandic pancakes sound good, check out my blog for Danish spherical pancakes! Sounds as though you could write a pancake guidebook to New York City! Word verification is masporc, which I take to mean, more bacon!

Rev Kim said...

Great play! Yes, real maple syrup from Vermont is a must!

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Pecans--great idea! Have had them on/in waffles, don't know why I never thought of them for pancakes.

Ianqui said...

For some reason this post really makes me want a blueberry muffin. Might have to get one this afternoon.

Jan said...

Yummy. I never knew there were Icelandic pancakes--Now I have to look those up along with eggbakes.

susan said...

Yum, yum, yum. We eat a lot of Norwegian pannecaker around here, in addition to various sorts of pancakes. And we eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch, brunch, and even dinner. Just yum. My current favorite is an oatmeal buttermilk recipe.