Saturday, January 03, 2009

Back to it

This time of year I'm always struck by how fast the holidays are over.* Honestly, that is one of the things that's hard about Christmas--you work soooo hard to get ready for it, and it's over like that (snap of fingers inserted). I keep reading on Facebook and blogs about people having all their decorations packed away and so forth. Well, true to form, I'm behind. My tree is still up, and my creches are still out and the wreath is still on the door, and it's likely to stay that way for a while. I'm actually enjoying the tree--it smells good, and I like to see the various ornaments, many of which have memories attached. The 12th day of Christmas is Tuesday--maybe I'll take the tree down next weekend.

And the relaxing few days away from work are over, too. Until today I had only worked one day since Christmas day, and it was great having the time off. But I preached tonight, and tomorrow is back to a full schedule. It should be a fun day--celebrating Epiphany with King's Cake, and chalk for house blessings, and a procession of the Magi. Of course the Kid's longer than usual break is drawing to a close, too. Tomorrow will be spent doing all the homework he's put off the last two weeks, but that's par for the course I guess.

January always feels like such an inconsequential month. I know as much as I whined about Christmas I shouldn't say this, but January is a bit of a let down (although I should be grateful for the break in craziness.) I am glad we have the inauguration to look forward to this year, and the end of Bush et al. And the Kid is going to the inauguration!

*although as I write this I recognize that if I joined most of the world and started Christmas the day after Thanksgiving I wouldn't think this--but I'm stuck in my pattern of doing Advent and not starting Christmas too early and I'm not likely to change that.

4 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

In NY it's a relief to see the trees bundled on the sidewalks.

Kathryn said...

I was brought up with the idea that it was totally wrong to take down your decorations till Epiphany...but equally evil to leave them up beyond, which tends to make for a very manic and bad-tempered 6th January. And this year I'm struggling with letting go of the adult children as they return to university...
All of which is to say, I'm with you all the way. More down time and more family time would be hugely welcome.

What Now? said...

D. and I started a tradition a few years ago of putting up our artificial tree (or, as my grandmother insisted, our "permanent tree") early in Advent and decorating it only with white lights and blue bows. Then, on Christmas Eve, it's short work to take off the blue bows and put up red bows. So then we get to have the pleasure of the tree for several weeks without too much hassle. I'll take the whole thing down on Tuesday night while D. is at work. I've become very convinced (especially now that I live in the cold north where it gets dark so early!) that having extra-special light at the darkest time of year is psychologically important, so I like stretching it out.

Also, perhaps it helps the Kid to know that teachers also are spending today doing their "homework" that they put off doing for the entire winter break!

Unknown said...

The wife and I are going to the inauguration as well. Doubt we'll spot the kid in the massive crowd, but it'll be fun to try. What a piece of history.