Saturday, January 17, 2009

On his way to watch history being made

In about half an hour I'll be taking the Kid to meet 40 or so other teens and their brave chaperones who will be boarding a bus headed for Washington, DC. They'll drive all night, and hopefully sleep, stop for breakfast outside of DC and then head straight for the Mall for the big opening inauguration event. This wasn't originally on their schedule--tomorrow was supposed to be spent visiting memorials and museums, but hey, this is historic. Museums will be there, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I'm really glad they changed their itinerary.

Monday they will do sightseeing and Tuesday they will rise in the wee hours to be bused as close as possible to the Mall (not really all that close) to watch the swearing in on jumbotrons. We were hoping they'd be able to get tickets to be closer, but doesn't look like that will happen. Nonetheless, they'll be there to see history being made.

The Kid signed up for this trip a year ago, when we didn't even know who the nominees would be. We wondered once or twice how he and his friends would react if McCain and Palin were the ones being sworn in, but really I think he always expected it to be Obama. What an opportunity this is! I am really, really glad he is going to be there. (I sort of wish I was going to be there, too, but I am counting on texts and pictures--he got a new camera for Christmas for the occasion).

4 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

Wow, what a great opportunity...wow, you are brave!

Unknown said...

Its cool to know the kid will be in the same crowd as us. Doubt I will run into hum, but it is still good to know.

God's Peace,
Jason+

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for him!

jo(e) said...

What an experience this will be for him!