Saturday, January 24, 2009

Isn't it funny

how sometimes accomplishing the smallest things can give you the greatest sense of satisfaction?

The remote control for my almost 10-year-old Beetle has been acting wonky for months now, and finally this week it gave up the ghost. I was dreading having to go to the VW dealer to get it repaired when it suddenly dawned on me that I could probably just change the batteries in it myself--after almost 10 years, (and one whole winter buried in the snow by my garage in VT!) they were a likely candidate for the source of the problem. The directions in the owner's manual were woefully lacking, but the Kid found illustrated instructions on the web for opening the remote and changing the batteries. So off to Radio Shack we went, and voila! A remote that works again, for just over $10.

I'm sure this wouldn't be a big deal for most people, but it does feel like a great accomplishment to me, perhaps because for years I felt inadequate when it came to anything connected to cars and their maintenance. But every year I learn something new, and I am glad to add this small skill to my repertoire.

4 comments:

kathy a. said...

i LOVE this story. i wasn't raised with any particular skills whatsoever -- and the wild tech advances since my youth don't help -- but somehow we are supposed to have that pioneer spirit. it is always good news to discover or invent a fix!

Unknown said...

I think you're brilliant! I had to repair my much newer one recently, after I dropped it and it flew open. I was VERY proud I figured out the right direction for the battery without having to do to the dealer!

Processing Counselor said...

Brava!

Mom to Baby J said...

I'm impressed and would be equally proud when finishing the same task! Ah, it's the little things.