Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Weighing in regardless

~There has probably been too much said about all this already, including bloggers who've spoken eloquently about it, but this whole Sarah Palin thing keeps niggling at me. I will admit to having something of a knee jerk reaction to her political leanings: anti-choice, NRA member, advocate of teaching creationism, advocate of drilling in ANWAR, and so forth. I doubt that we could be more different in our political leanings.

~That said, there is more to my discomfort at her nomination than that. As much as I don't want to judge her on criteria that most likely wouldn't be applied to a male candidate (like what kind of parent she is), I can't help but wonder about her priorities. Much has been made of her decision not to terminate her pregnancy when she learned that her youngest child would be born with Trisomy 21--she's been called "heroic", a label I (and others) find inappropriate--but what about her decision to leave that child to return to work when he was just 3 days old? And what about her decision to undertake a national campaign when that child is only four months old? As I watch my daughter with her 5-month-old, I'm reminded how challenging it is to parent an infant, how much time and energy it takes. Of course that doesn't mean that a mother shouldn't pursue her career. But how does one juggle caring for not just an infant but a special needs infant while jetting about the country promoting one's campaign?

~Add to that her willingness to thrust her pregnant 17-year-old into the national spotlight. Being 17 and pregnant must be hard enough no matter how much support your family gives you without being held up to public scrutiny. Palin knew her daughter was pregnant long before McCain approached her about the vice presidency. Surely she must've considered the impact that this would have on her daughter and on the father of her baby. You'd might think that a parent would want to protect them from that kind of pressure.

~So I question Palin's judgment, her decision making, as well as her political positions. And I question John McCain's judgment and decision making skills as well. Apparently his VP pick was make on the fly, without much vetting of Palin. As I noted last week, his choice to me smacks of opportunism, of wanting to grab the spotlight away from Obama and the democrats in the most dramatic way possible. To me it feels almost like a cyncial choice. Knowing that he can't really compete with the magnetism of Obama's campaign, he makes an attempt to woo disgruntled Hillary supporters with a flashy VP choice. But in doing so he manages not only pick an outrageously unqualified candidate, but also to insult the intelligence of women by assuming that female voters would choose gender over substance. Some might, I guess, but most are smarter than that.

~Then there was that thankfully short-lived notion that perhaps McCain and Palin should give their acceptanc speech from the gulf coast. Huh? Let's just suppose for a minute that Gustav had devastated New Orleans like Katrina did. Is it really helpful to have presidential candidates lurking in the area with their entourage of security, staff and press? Bad enough that GWB thinks it's being "presidential" to hang out nearby (in a weak attempt to compensate for his abysmal failure to help after Katrina). Luckily for everyone, Gustav was not the "mother of all storms" it had the potential to be, but the idea that one might use such a storm for political gain in the guise of being concerned is reprehensible to me.

~And the worst part of all? McCain and Palin might actually get elected. I'd like to think that the electorate would be better than that, but after all Bush and Cheney were elected twice. I don't want to think about what this country would be like after four (or eight--shudder) years under a McCain/Palin administration.

11 comments:

wendy said...

Yes, yes, yes, and amen.

And, to your last point regarding four or--shudder--EIGHT years of a McCain/Palin administration... I think the only thing that could make me shudder MORE would be if McCain (godforbid) dies (he's not exactly a spring chicken) and (dear god in heaven) Palin (omg) has to (deep breath) step into office (sigh). She ain't ready. And I can't imagine that anyone with her limited experience (fine as it may be) could possibly be qualified (PTA president does not a Commander & Chief make). NEVERMIND that she's a little nuts (IMHO).

Good Lord. Deliver Us.

Prisca said...

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Worse for me, though, is the thought that he picked her because he knew he could just tell her what to do & say since she has so many other things to juggle. How can she possibly do it all or know it all when she's got an infant? I know I have fought for our right to do just that, but gosh, it seems so detrimental to the little ones. Also there's nothing like throwing your pregnant kid under the bus all for the sake of your own candidacy.

Unknown said...

Making a strictly policy driven analysis of Gov. Palin, and staying away from the family issues, she says she is against pork-barrel ear marking. However, when she was mayor of that tiny town, she hired a lobbyist to procure lots of federal government ear-marked funds for her town (according to NPR). This is not the type of decision making I would like to see in the oval office. Considering McCain's age she would definitely be "one heart beat" away.

Unknown said...

RDM, yes to all you have said here.

Sarah said...

Amen, amen and shudder.

ccw said...

Absolutely yes!

Your last point scares the hell out of me.

Ruth said...

I was glad to read Jason's comment, and totally agree.

OneTiredEma said...

The thing that kills me about the whole 5th baby-down syndrome thing is that conservative commentators (I haven't heard any personal statement from her on the topic) are using this to champion her anti-abortion stance. AS IF her personal experience, with money and resources on her side, could possibly allow her to legislate (!!!) for others in the same position.

From where I sit, having 2 healthy kids, how could I ever judge whether another woman is ready or able to become a mother, for the first time or fifth time? Much less a baby who will need more care and more attention than "average."

For a good perspective from someone who actually knows what it's like to raise a child with DS: http://sarahlynn.blogspot.com/2008/08/mccainpalin.html

Anonymous said...

I hope Americans are smart enough to elect McCain/Palin. I really think they may win.

By the way, BO is not qualified to be president.

kathy a. said...

anonymous, not many selling points in your post.

RDM, i agree with all of your policy points. and with jason's perspective.

i am also uncomfortable with the family decisions, from the standpoint that they would not have been mine. but i also never wanted other people to decide what i could do based on their ideas of how to run a family. i hate being in the position of supporting her right to make personal decisions that i think are off-base, but i'd like government and everyone else to respect mine.

so, there it is. i support her right to make decisions -- and strongly oppose her as a person i'd like to make mine. and that's what she wants to do: have government in the bedrooms and at the kitchen tables when our own families have decisions to make. she's good on war and teaching creationism, fine with using power and pork to advance what she wants, and absolutely unschooled with many of the major issues that we face.

what was mccain thinking?

Aimee said...

Just curious, what do you think Palin should have done when she learned her 5th child had Trisomy 21?

What is your opinion, both personally and "professionally," if you will, on women carrying to term children they know will have special needs?