Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Five~Back to school

I've spent more than half my life in school as a student or teacher, so now that I'm NOT on an academic schedule spring and fall feel very different to me--I really miss the rhythm of the school year. And this is my last year to have a child at home, going to school. So this Friday Five from the RGBPs is very apropos for me. (And honestly I'm so glad to think of something besides work and politics!)

1. Is anyone going back to school, as a student or teacher, at your house? How's it going so far?
~The Kid started his senior year of high school, and so far, so good. He has a pretty rigorous course load, but he likes his classes so far, and the fact that it's senior year is starting to sink in for both of us--maybe even more for me than for him, since he is my last kid at home. He's doing the typical senior year things--senior pix, yearbook stuff, getting ready to do college apps (!) so there's a lot going on.

2. Were you glad or sad when back-to-school time came as a kid?

~I was generally glad to go back to school, although the end of summer held a tinge of sadness, too. I was always excited for a new year, a new teacher, new books, new school supplies. And I love fall, and somehow even though fall is a season of winding down in many ways, I associate it with the 'new start' feeling of the beginning of the school year--fresh and crisp somehow.

3. Did your family of origin have any rituals to mark this time of year? How about now?

~For a person who loves ritual in liturgy, I am remarkably low ritual at home. As a kid we had no rituals for the beginning of school, and I think I was sort of surprised when I started sending my kids off to hear that other people did have rituals. Of course both in childhood and as a parent there were new shoes, new school clothes, new school supplies, but really, no ritual.

4. Favorite memories of back-to-school outfits, lunchboxes, etc?

~I really don't remember any. Perhaps linked to the lack of ritual?

5. What was your best year of school?

~5th, 6th and 7th grades were the halcyon years of my childhood, in school and out. And I loved my undergrad years and seminary. Before I started my grad program people told me that it would be the best time of my life, but truly, it didn't measure up. And for whatever reason, I struggled less with the adjustments of seminary than many of my classmates, and I felt so lucky, so blessed to be there--at seminary and in the city--that I really treasure that time.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Since my youngest daughter graduated from high school this year, I am imagining the busy-ness and excitement of your son's senior year. Enjoy!

kathy a. said...

daughter is leaving for her sophomore year away at college on monday, and she is busy sunday, and it is mid-day friday -- and apparently i am supposed to stop bugging her about packing the carload of stuff, which she is going to start "later."

so, i'm doing the ritual biting of the tongue, which shall continue through monday, when she suddenly discovers she needs to do several loads of laundry, should she wish to take clean clothes, and that she has lost one of several important chargers in the drifts of mess in her room.

it will all work out fine. i'll bring treats for the dorm room, we'll go get supplies the night before move-in, i'll take the pictures of the dorm room and take her to dinner after the first band practice. and cross my fingers and fly away.

Sally said...

I am struggling to realise that my 3 return for their second under grad year in a weeks time...

Hope the Senior year trnasitions goes well