~We had an 'end-of-summer' cookout for the youth at our parish tonight. These kids are between 12 and 15, nice kids, pretty normal young teens. I was sitting with them as we ate ice cream and the talk turned to politics. It was fascinating to me to hear these kids discussing who they supported and why, what bothered them about politics and the campaigns, who they thought would win, and the like. I think I'd forgotten how kids this age think, how naive they can be (and I mean that with no negative connotations--more a reflection of their innocence and inexperience).
~The Kid grew up around political discussions--especially around Woman Warrior and her friends. So it has been a long time since he displayed that level of innocence and naivete. He and his friends are actually pretty politically astute even though they are only a year or two older. Not sure if that is the result of a big developmental leap or just experience (or both).
~I'm pretty sure that when I was their age I was more idealistic. There was a fair amount of cynicism in these kids' opinions. I recognize that being idealistic is part of my personality, but I wonder how much role the media has playing in increasing these kids' cynicism and skepticism.
~I also ran into the 'I used to be for Hillary but now I'm for McCain' sentiment in one or two of the teens. Surprised me, actually, but it wasn't really a time or place for me to argue or reason about that kind of thinking. And I'm not sure that it would have mattered, anyway. But the logic of that still defies me, no matter what the age of the person who says that.
1 comment:
i grew up in a yellow dog democrat household. i remember my senior year of high school, when dukakis ran against bush. my dad had a dukakis yard sign and i insisted on a bush sign. i really think i was trying to be a radical, to be different (which, for my family, it was!). i don't remember what it was i found appealing about that ticket, but i know it had nothing to do with the politics--rather, perhaps my perception of what was acceptable. if memory serves, i was trying hard at that point to dress like a sorority girl and pretend i was one. it failed, obviously. all that to say, that 3 years later i was the biggest clinton supporter ever. and this time for the right reasons and with some thought behind it. it is funny what a difference a few years make.
Post a Comment