Saturday, September 27, 2008

Totally freaked out

~Sitting on the sofa last night with my laptop, I thought I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Looking up I didn't seen anything, so I went back to reading commentary on the debate. A few minutes later I saw it again--and then I saw a little grey mouse run across the floor in front of the fireplace. Mildly freaked, I nonetheless realized there wasn't much I could do about it at the time and, hoping it would go hide for the night, I went back to the computer.

~A little while later I got up to get ready for bed. My bedroom, bathroom, and a small office are off a short hall from the living room. As I was closing the bathroom door I saw the mouse run under the computer desk in the office. Expletives ensued, but I was still only mildly concerned. When I went in my bedroom I firmly closed the door (unusual for me) hoping to keep the mouse on the OTHER side. Alas. I was reading in bed when I heard some scurrying and saw the mouse trying to get OUT of my room under the door. More expletives. I screamed, the mouse made it under the door. I decided I might as well open the door since the mouse had been in my room anyway. It began to occur to me that perhaps there was more than one mouse.

~Too freaked to turn off the light to go to sleep I read for a little longer. Then I heard more rustling, and that's when I seriously freaked out. A mouse was climbing up the side of my bed right there beside me. Much screaming and more expletives. The mouse was as freaked as I was, I'm sure, but I wasn't feeling much sympathy for the mouse--or mice, I was realizing. At that point I grabbed my pillows and went upstairs to sleep on the blow-up bed in the spare room.

~Normally I fall asleep quickly and sleep well. But I lay there for a long time last night, listening for mice I suppose. I don't know what I would've done if they'd made their way upstairs at that point. Yikes.

~It rained really hard much of yesterday. I'm theorizing that they might have found their way inside to get out of the bad weather. I'm hoping that's it. I've never in three years had any sign of mice in the house before. Suffice it to say that as soon as my sermon is written I will be off to the store to buy mouse poison. I don't want to get traps because ewwwww--I'd have to empty them. Ewwwwwww. Supposedly with the poison they go back outside to die. And I have no pets or young children to worry about.

~Now I really must go write a sermon. I meant to get up early and start but I left my alarm clock downstairs, and after I finally fell asleep, I slept past my normal wake up time.

~Mice in the house. Ewwwwww. Maybe I need a cat.

~ETA--I clicked over to the comics and the very first thing I saw was this. LOL.

13 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Hate to tell you but Murphy's law says if you get a cat to get rid of the mice? it won't go hear them.

Sorry about the ick.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Oh, shudder. Sorry you had to deal with that. It would give me a sleepless night, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, sorry to hear about the mice!!

revkjarla said...

I had mice in my apartment in NYC...my poodle thought they were cute, and she would watch them steal kibble out of her bowl. I only realized this was happening after a few weeks, and finding stores of kibble in weird places, like my shoes.
The super wanted to use the sticky traps, but after one experience with that (they scream, they don't die, they just can't move, and then you throw them in the trash...it's horrible) I got have a heart traps and caught them and let them loose in the park, much to seasoned NYorkers amusement. I did get a bunch of steel wool and plugged up any holes I thought they might be coming from....

Good luck. truly.

Unknown said...

Eek!!!
I have a cat who likes to kill mice. The only trouble is she brings them *inside* to do it...

Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon! Last night I got home and found Mike searching for the chipmunk the cat had brought in to kill. Apparently she got distracted by my knitting yarn and let the chipmunk escape into the family room. So I feel your pain. Hope you can get rid of them soon...

Karen said...

Funny, I just saw a mouse run across our kitchen floor this afternoon. I thought mice were supposed to be nocturnal?! Anyway, i think it ran in from outside after one of the girls left the patio door open (again). The mouse seemed very freaked out to be in our house. I felt bad buying a trap but couldn't figure out any way to lead it outside.

susan said...

So sorry! We had mice in our (old) house for a while after we renovated it and the cats helpfully killed them. Which was a little gross, but dead mice are at least not moving.

OneTiredEma said...

Last night as AM and I were about to bunk down for the night, I noticed an ENORMOUS water bug (4 inches?) crawling inches from Miss M's head (she was already asleep).

It escaped to a corner, behind some bookshelves, but my MIL killed it with a lot of Raid. Then we proceeded to breathe in the lovely scent all night, but hey, no enormous water bug so it was all good.

All this to say I think I'd prefer a mouse. But mostly outside creatures should stay outside. Please.

Julie said...

My kitty did a great job of controlling the mouse population in 422. I had no idea that she had it in her, but every couple of months we'd find a dead mouse in the living room. If they become a problem, get a cat.

Jules said...

When I was a pre-teen, I had a mouse living under my bed. Since I was a pet-deprived child, I loved my little mouse. I used to sneak cheese from the fridge after everyone had gone to bed to feed it with. I think it must have gone away eventually or died somewhere else, because I don't remember any traumatic end to it.

I say, live and let live. They're absolutely harmless critters. They've survived longer than we have and live EVERYWHERE on the planet, places we couldn't survive without hugely expensive bad weather gear. Have-a-heart traps or cats are the only acceptable answer to mice. If you poison them they may poison someone else up the food chain, and the sticky things are barbaric. Oh, the other possibility -- get a snake.

Now water bugs, on the other hand, should be squished -- outside, preferably. They are truly disgusting.

Rev Dr Mom said...

GET A SNAKE! Surely you know me better than that!!!!!

Unknown said...

My friend Linda has a snake living in her parsonage basement...and she has no mice. Maybe it's not such a bad thing? No, really I'm with you.