Saturday, July 05, 2008

Random bits of a damp Saturday

~I spent almost all day birthing a sermon...some weeks it's just harder than others, and this was one of them. Sometimes it surprises me--this was a week I thought would be easier, until I sat down to start writing. But it's written now, preached once, revised and put to bed. Whew...

~It's damp here. Really damp. As in if you spill some water, it never evaporates, the floor feels damp under your feet, the sheets feel clammy. It did rain for a while but mostly it's damp.

~Speaking of rain, I'm not sure if the local fireworks are rained out or not. I didn't even think about going, mostly because I have to pick up the Kid from work probably about the time they would be finishing up.

~Despite my worry that the grackles would drive the orioles away, the orioles seem to have managed to raise a bumper crop of offspring. At least I'm assuming that all the pale looking orioles clustering around the jelly feeder the last couple of days are juveniles who've just learned how to feed themselves.

~It turns out that all the other birds like grape jelly, too. I go through a LOT of jelly.

~I have made it through half the year blogging every single day. It's clear to me that I don't have interesting things to say every day--things that are bloggable at any rate, but it has become a discipline. And it makes me think. I'd like to hope that it will help me become a better writer, but I'm not sure how that will work out. The experiment continues--as does the photoblog which I am trying to catch up on.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I had a heck of a time getting this week's sermon to come together as well. I didn't find an obvious connection between the readings. And the gospel was just tough. The sucky thing was that I was preaching for the first time in my new congregation - just when I want to be able to say something useful. Fortunately, I managed to pull it together, but it wasn't my best work. It is so strange how it goes - some of them just come right out and others are like birthing a child.

chadrerickson@yahoo.com said...

Some interesting thoughts that I cannot bring together either, but you might. Jesus and John the B's relationship did not end all warm and fuzzy although John's at first diference was most worshipful. Later, when in prison, why did John send his followers to directly question Jesus' messiahship? Why did Jesus intimate that John was not in Jesus' kingdom?

To confirm that this prickly relationship existed: There were two types of sin sacrifices specified in the old testament, the killing of a lamb and the driving of a scapegoat into the wilderness. In Jesus' parable of judgement, the lamb send the goats to everlasting punishment for no reason except for inhospitality.

What gives?