Monday, July 14, 2008

Early day

~It's just a little after 8 am, and I'm showered, dressed, fed and just started my second load of laundry--all on my day off. For years and years I got up at 5:45 every day to get kids ready for day care or school and get myself where I needed to be on time--which usually meant no later than 8:30 if not earlier. But the last couple of years I've gotten into the habit of sleeping later--I get up early when I have to be at work early (usually 3 days a week) and I get up to make sure the Kid gets ready for the bus, (but this year I've been going back to sleep after he leaves)--but otherwise I sleep til 8 or 8:30 and then on my days off I laze around before showering and getting ready for the day.

~Truth is, though, once I get out of bed, I like the early mornings. I like the freshness of the air, and this time of year there is usually a pleasant breeze. I like hearing the birdsong, and seeing the daylilies raise their blooms to the sun. And I like getting things done and out of the way. Perhaps I should start getting up early more often.

~The reason I got up so early today: to greet the workers who are supposed to tear out the flooring in two of the rectory bathrooms, which requires asbestos removal. Said workers, however, are not yet here. Huh. They promised that this would be a one day job, but their late arrival doesn't bode well for that, I think.

ETA: 11:40 am and they still aren't here. Doesn' look like it's going to happen today.

4 comments:

Snickollet said...

I, too, love the freshness of being up early even though right now all I can do when I'm up early is think about how I'd like to be sleeping.

Hope those workers showed up . .

Unknown said...

Did you ever hear from them?

Rev Dr Mom said...

They'll be here first thing tomorrow...so they say.

Jane said...

Ah yes workers saying they'll be around "tomorrow" hope they do turn up but still at least you'll get to enjoy another early morning!
Good luck