In a comment to my last post, Susan asked why it's time for me to think about where my next place might be--am I supposed to move every x number of years? I started to answer in a comment, but it was getting pretty long, so I decided my answer deserved a post of its own.
The short answer is no and yes. In the Episcopal Church priests do not (under most conditions) have a fixed tenure in a parish. Rectors (head pastors) can and do stay for many years. Assistants (which is what I am) may have a time-certain end point (often two years when it is expected that the assistant will be a new seminary graduate). In my case, because the Kid was starting high school my first year here, the understanding was that I would be here for four years with the option of staying longer if all were agreeable. I've been here three years, the Kid will graduate from high school next June, and so the time has come to think about what's next.
On some level staying here would be okay. I love the work that I do, and the congregation I serve and the feedback I get indicates that they like me. In many ways being an assistant suits me. But the truth is, I think it really is time for me to move on. It's no secret to long time readers that geographically, where I am now has presented some challenges. It is a beautiful place, no doubt about it, much sought out as a retirement and vacation location, but I have found it a bit isolating, and I miss the city, or a more city-like setting. But far more important are things more directly related to work. There is the possibility (now being said aloud although it's been lurking for a while) that because of budgetary constraints, my position won't be fully funded after I leave. I think that is a really bad thing for lots of reasons, but it doesn't directly affect me except that to the extent that if it becomes a reality they will be ready for me to leave sooner rather than later.
Even more than that, however is the reality that I don't have a great working relationship with my boss. I would love, love to blog about all the reasons why, but I'm not comfortable doing so, on the off chance that someone in my parish or who knows my parish finds me here. Suffice it to say that on the surface everything looks congenial, and we manage to get a lot done. But there is a great deal of underlying tension. I'm more open about its existence, but I think it is very real on both side--in other words, it's not just me and my insecurity talking. I've heard enough comments from other sources to validate many of my perceptions. My boss never had an assistant before, and while I know he likes and takes advantage of having someone to share the work load, he is far less comfortable with the notion of any kind of shared authority. From my side of things, there has never been any question of who is in charge in my mind, but I get the feeling that as I do more and my competency increases, he feels threatened on some level. And that doesn't make for a good working environment.
Finally, I need to consider whether I want to lead a parish on my own. I think that I do, and since I'm no spring chicken, having come to this career later in life, I need to move on that. So now is the time to start thinking about it. I won't be going anywhere any time soon, because as many of you know, these things take time. But this time next year, I hope I'll know more about where this is all leading.
6 comments:
Ugh. I could have written that second paragraph a few years ago. It's so draining to be in such an environment day in and day out. Sorry to hear you're there. I hope this year brings you some clarity and new directions.
I'm not sure you should pay much attention to a person who can't count...I meant the next-to-last paragraph.
She's right, anyway. My prayers that you will find the direction that brings joy and feels faithful.
Ah, that makes lots of sense: wishing you good discernment as you figure out the path.
It's great to have time and space to consider next options, and it does sound like the timing and circumstances are right to be contemplating what adventure lies around the corner. In the meantime, I wish you a rich, full -- and maybe even peaceful? -- next year.
Prayers for you in your process of looking forward while looking inward. And of course for a fulfilling and sane year!
Post a Comment