and I do not do those things I want to do. Or something like that...that's the beginning of the reading from Romans for last Sunday. I don't know why I'm quoting it (I really am not a fan of Paul, and have some difficulty with that passage) except that it popped into my head when I looked at the clock and realized how late it is and I haven't done the work I brought home to do tonight. Ack. I guess, though, it would be more accurate to say "I do those things I want to do and I do not do those things I ought to be doing" because at night I play on Facebook and read blogs and take naps instead of working.
Last week I said I felt like I was swimming in molasses, and one person said in the comments that it sounded sticky! And you know that is how it felt--and still feels to a certain extent. I just don't seem to be accomplishing much--I feel stuck. I keep diddling around the edges of some big projects I need to handle and not even getting much done around those edges, even though I feel busy all the time.
I've always viewed summer as a time to slow down a bit, to catch up. It was that way when I was a student and when I was teaching. And theoretically at least that's how it is now--the boss is away, there are very few meetings, things are quieter. But I have too much to do. And perhaps I'm resisting on some level.
And I know I'm avoiding two tasks because I don't know how I'm going to pull them off. I'm about to conclude that one of them is going to have to be canceled--and I hate that because it feels like giving up, and it's something I did very successfully the last two years. But this year it just doesn't seem to be coming together for reasons that are completely out of my control. At any rate, I have to make a decision about it soon.
Now I should go to bed and avoid the other thing I've been doing--taking a nap and then staying up waaaaay too late so I'm tired in the morning.
1 comment:
I know that feeling. Sometimes it is nice to just slow down and avoid the big work. I think it is good for us.
And I say cancel the event. Don't stress yourself about something that isn't going to work the way it did in the past. The problem with this (damn) church is that we get too stuck in what we did in the past and we keep doing stuff that doesn't work any more because it used to work in the past. It's ok to not do something that we used to do.
Of course, this might not at all apply to what you are talking about, but it is a little rant that I've had lately as I've watched people throw oodles of energy at things that should have been abandoned years ago. Sigh.
Post a Comment