Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Random bits of Wednesday

~Two funerals, one funeral homily and a regular Wednesday service today. The second funeral was a large one, and it was for the person who took charge of making the rectory a nice place to live before and after I moved in. I never imagined that three years later I would be burying him. It was one of those very sad but very right feeling funerals, if you know what I mean.

~Somehow it turned out to be my week to contribute to breakfast tomorrow for a church group that meets every Thursday morning. So I came home and baked mini corn muffins and blueberry strusel. I didn't have to bake but I couldn't find anything very appealing at the grocery store--whatever happened to Pepperidge Farm? There was none to be had. I don't generally buy breakfast pastry stuff and I was surprised by how poor the selection was.

~It is hot and muggy again. Really muggy.

~My plumbing is getting fixed while I am on vacation. To the tune of many thousands of dollars. Whew. There apparently was a choice between trying to do just a little work and hope it lasted a few years and doing it right and happily they've chosen to do it right. And there's a possibility that there's a leak from the tub upstairs that is contributing to the mildew on the walls and ceiling problem--if that is helped it will be really great.

~It's thundering. I hope we have a big, cooling storm.

~Quote for today: This is what we mean by friends: even when they are absent, they are with us; even when they lack some things, they have an abundance of others; even when they are weak, they are strong, and, harder still, even when they are dead, they are alive. ~Cicero

~I found that quote quite by accident the other day, and I used it in my homily today--even if it might seem strange to use Cicero in a homily, it really fit.

~Yay, it's raining and there is a wonderful cool breeze. I hope tomorrow is less muggy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the quote.