~This is my third year of doing NaBloPoMo, and 2/3 way through the month, this is the first year that my number of visits per day has gone down and not up. It could be that I've had nothing interesting to say; it could be that people are twittering now instead of reading blogs, it could be any number of things, I suppose, but it has been surprising.
~I've wanted to write more this month, but honestly I just haven't had any time. By the time I get home at night I'm so tired I can barely put two thoughts together, and I fall asleep on the couch.
~Does this make me go to bed earlier, try to get more sleep? No, it doesn't. I've haven't been to bed before 12:30-1:00 am in over a week, despite promising myself I'd try to get more sleep. What I do is really stupid.
~But I think I know why I do it. I just need a period of time to myself--no one else around, quiet, and I can just be. What I' doing is less important than getting that time; it's been true for years.
~It has been COLD here the last few days, surprisingly cold for November. And that after a pretty mild fall overall. We even had a dusting of snow on Wednesday. I don't mind it being cold this time of year. When it's still cold in April, then I'll mind!
5 comments:
I haven't checked my own stats in so long that I wouldn't know an upward or downward trend if it smacked me in the face. But my hypothesis would be that people are commenting less than they used to, so there are fewer click-throughs from feed-readers, which means visits per day go down. I betcha everyone's still reading, though.
It is cold in NYC too; when I went running this morning is was below freezing. I would give anything to see 50 and throw the children out on the playground. Alas.
I also stay up quite late even though I get up really early and am tired all the time--that down time is really something necessary when you spend your day focused on other people and their needs.
My theory: people have election-exhaustion and aren't spending as much time on the Internet. I know it's true for me. My stats are down, too, after a peak around the election.
I've noticed that people will often leave me a message on facebook or twitter that will refer to something I wrote on my blog. I think that supports Phantom's hypothesis. People are still reading ... but they are commenting less, and using twitter or facebook for social interaction. And less clickthroughs mean site stats would be down.
I must be the only blogger with no clue about my stats...I abandoned sitemeter at some point a year or two back, for reasons that seemed good at the time - which means I am completely oblivious to who is reading/commenting. But there's nothing like asking he question to make lots of people respond, which is some sort of reassurance that people ARE reading.
Not at all sure that NaBloPoMo is increasing comments at my place...but then the quality of posts isn't exciting, so who can blame them...
Post a Comment