~I Sing a Song of the Saints of God is the first hymn I remember learning way back in jr. choir. I couldn't have been more than 2nd grade at the time. I loved it then and now for reminding us that saints are extraordinarily ordinary people, people we can encounter anywhere we go.
~There's a wonderful children's book illustrating I Sing a Song....and the pictures in it are illustrations of the church where I did my field placement in NYC. I actually owned the book before I knew where the pictures came from, but while I was there, the author of the book visited the church and talked about the book. This church suffered a devastating fire in the early 80s and the author donated some of the proceeds from the book to the rebuilding effort.~Today is also NSLS's birthday. She was born on a Sunday, too, and in an election year--the year Jimmy Carter lost his reelection bid to Ronald Reagan. I didn't vote that year because I'd had a c-section and was still in the hospital. Of course, I'd never given a thought to getting an absentee ballot ahead of time. I remember the doctors and nurses walking around the day after the election in disbelief that Reagan had won. I hope we're not saying that this week about McCain.
~I don't ever recall an election feeling this intense, or the stakes so high. I was really, really opposed to Bush in the last two elections, but this feels even more of a must-win situation. The Kid was out with some of the other "Young Democrats" from his school today holding signs; they'll be out again Tuesday. For them and all the other young people who've been inspired and energized by Obama, I want him to win. And because I think he's our one chance for something new and different.
~I watched the clip of McCain on SNL with Tina Fey last night. It was hilarious. And while I was watching it I was thinking that I could so see Sarah Palin doing something like that--hosting something on TV--far more than I can imagine her in a position of real power.
~Yesterday felt more like a "normal" Saturday than any I've had in recent memory. No sermon to write, no other work thing hanging over my head, I cleaned out a closet and did laundry while the Kid gave his room a major cleaning and did his homework. Every once in a while normal domesticity is comforting. (Just don't expect it too often!)
4 comments:
I'm with you both--there's a lot to be said for just being home!!
I bet she's hoping Stevens wins so she can appoint herself to his seat in the Senate!
We sang those hymns, too, and they are both total favorites of mine.
What is the ISBN for that book or the author so I can track it down? I went to the same church for the year before field ed.
As for Palin appointing Stevens, I heard that in Alaska there has to be an election; the governor can't appoint.
All Saint's Day is one of my favorites. That and Easter Vigil.
We sang the same songs as well. I had never heard I sing a song before. Mike remembered it from his childhood though.
Post a Comment