Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Really, I don't know why I'm surprised

~Recently I've been coming home from work just flat out exhausted. Bone numbingly tired. So tired my eyeballs hurt. I've chalked it up to lots of work and not enough sleep.

~Today I stayed at work until after six. The Kid wasn't home and I was working on the newsletter which I MUST finish asap, and I lost track of time. But when I got home, I realized that I wasn't nearly as exhausted as I have been lately. Haven't gotten more sleep. Still lots to do. Hmmm...

~What is the difference? The boss is on vacation. And the atmosphere at the office is completely different. And so is my mood.

~I've never been in a work situation like this before. And to be perfectly honest, if you met my boss you'd probably think he's a lovely guy--warm and friendly and outgoing. He's probably good at a lot of what he does. But the office is toxic right now, and I don't like what it does to me. I've been working on focusing on the positive and doing my job. Still....it's hard.

~The good news is that in 3 1/2 months he's going on sabbatical. And hopefully when he gets back, I'll have a new job. Keep your fingers crossed.

~In the meantime, I still need to get more sleep :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you have a little space of peace this week.

Lauralew said...

A toxic work environment is the absolute worst. I so agree with Songbird. Without some peace, how can you live and grow?

kathy a. said...

yes about the peace. even a work situation you love otherwise can be so.hard. when it is toxic.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Prayers for you. I know this kind of situation well, and I am wondering how I can watch for this kind of thing when I start to interview for my first call. Blessings, and we will count the days intil the sabbatical. Sometimes even the best-intentioned folks create bad chemistry, and that's exhausting.