~I dreamed about it last night, and it still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it this morning, and read the reactions from around country and around the world to what we've done. It really feels like a new day, a new chance, a new hope. I appreciated that in his acceptance speech last night President-elect Obama did not only exult in the victory but also recognized the very hard work, the grueling work in front of him, and all of us.
~And yet, there is still a small dark cloud amongst the rejoicing. The fate of Prop 8 is still uncertain in California, and bans on gay marriage passed in Florida and Arizona. It is painful to watch as discrimination and injustice are written into law. It's wrong.
~One of this Sunday's readings is from the prophet Amos and it ends, "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever flowing stream." Amen, may it be so.
4 comments:
MLK used that sentiment, too -- i can hear his voice, reading your quote from amos.
i'm so disappointed in my state. prop 8 is a travesty, and i was hoping that fairness and decency would prevail. there will certainly be litigation, but i think this means we all have more work to do on the personal level. people need to be educated; they need to know that the other is in fact their neighbor. their friend. their child, their sibling, their cousin.
Yeah, we won the election, but out here in Nebraska we passed a ban on Affirmative Action so broad that it limit, hinder, or even end research on breast or prostate cancer. It is a mixed bag. We made a step toward equality last night, but there is still a conflict of worldviews going on in our nation. We, you and I and all our clergy friends, have a lot of work to do teaching love your neighbor and calling for compassion against the forces of individualism and dominance.
I'll pray for you, if you'll pray for me. Together we all can get it done.
As close as I live to Nebraska, I had not heard about the proposed ban on affirmative action. I was too focused on the proposed abortion ban in South Dakota. Politics really is local. We want the best for all--affirmative action, the right for all to marry, and reproductive rights for women--but it really is hard to be everywhere at once. I pray for my brothers and sisters in CA and NE.
Amen, Amen.
Post a Comment