~Three years ago yesterday I was ordained to the diaconate. Like most anniversaries, in some ways it seems so long ago, and in others it seems like just yesterday. I was reading blogs at that point, but I hadn't started my own, so there is no post to go back to, but if I find the time to go back into some old pix folders tomorrow, I'll post some photos.
~It was a glorious June day in Vermont, and a wonderful, joyous occasions with good friends and family present. Although in some ways ordination to the priesthood is more dramatic, ordination to the diaconate is thrilling in its own way, the penultimate step in a long, long process, and marking the entry into the world of "clergy." Three of us were ordained that day (all women) and we worked together to plan a beautiful liturgy with wonderful music and great preaching.
~A few short weeks later I was packing and moving from NYC to my present location...and what a rollercoaster it's been here. There is so much I love about what I do, and equally as much that I find frustrating in my work situation. And this week has been hellacious in ways that I just can't blog about. Suffice it to say that there are a whole lot of changes and a lot of drama going on...most of it doesn't involve directly me but it nonetheless affects my work and it can be emotionally exhausting.
~It's no secret here that this hasn't been my favorite geographical location either. I've lived a lot of different places in my life, and this is probably my 2nd or 3rd least favorite. And I'm not sure why, because there are some things about where I live that, if you asked about in the abstract, I would rate as contributing to a desirable place to live. Lately I've realized that I've gotten to know only a small part of the area; usually when I move someplace I explore a lot more. I'm not sure how much that would change how I feel about the area, but perhaps I"ll try to get out more.
~June 4, btw, is also the anniversary of my high school graduation, but I'm loathe to say how many years ago it was....suffice it to say that many of my bloggy friends weren't even born yet!
2 comments:
Happy ordination anniversary!
I've only visited where you live, but I have to say, I don't love it there, either. So many people thinks it's fabulous, but as a visitor, the area has not held a lot of appeal for me. Like you, in the abstract, I feel like I should really enjoy your area . . . not sure what the deal is. I hope you enjoy some exploring.
Sorry work is so hard right now. Drama is so very draining.
Wow, that's been quite a three years, hasn't it?
Sorry about the drama at work; work is such a big part of our lives (probably particularly for clergy?) that mayhem there translates into mayhem all the way around.
As you think about next steps, are you looking at other geographic areas?
Post a Comment