Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday Five~On the beach

1. Ocean rocks, lake limps? Vice versa? Or "it's all beautiful in its own way"?

~I like both; it really depends on the location. I grew up going to old-fashioned Carolina beaches, and they still epitomize "beach" for me. And I lived in the City by the Lake, which I still love for its beauty--the lake surrounded by the mountains is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I don't want to swim in lakes or ocean though, at least not above the Mason Dixon line.

2. Year round beach living: Heaven...or the Other Place?

~Neither. I do actually live near the beach here. And I haven't taken advantage of it very much, perhaps because beaches in the part of the world are quite different from those I grew up with. And it's far too easy for me to never even see the water here and forget about it. There are moments though, when I'm struck by the beauty of the water when I drive by and catch a glimpse, or take the rare beach walk. Someone at church has promised me a "beach tour" so I can see more of what I've been missing!

The flip side, of course, is the tourist traffic. I can mostly avoid that, too, but when I can't it can really slow things down. To say nothing of making it difficult to find parking in particular places or eat in a good seafood restaurant.

I would be really happy living in City by the Lake where I could have even a glimpse of a lake view. WW lived in a little attic apartment there once and out of one window you see just a glimpse of the lake. Waking up to that view every day would make me very happy.

3. Any beach plans for this summer?

~Nope

4. Best beach memory ever? (or two...)

~Renting a big old fashioned beach house down south with my extended family when the kids were little. If I were ever to have a beach house, I'd want one like that. We'd take all the kids to the beach in the morning, come home for lunch on the porch, rest for a bit, and go back for the late afternoon. I'd take long beach walks and sit on the beach and read. The water was calm with gentle waves perfect for young children. The summer NSLS was a baby I'd put her in a floaty seat and when the tides were just right I could take her out and she'd be so content floating in the water she'd start to doze off. My mother loved the beach so she was generally happy to be there , too.

~Going to a retreat led by Madeleine L'Engle at a conference center on a beautiful southern beach. It was February or March, and a foggy gloomy weekend, and it was a silent retreat. I remember taking a walk one afternoon in silence on a beach shrouded in fog with the sounds of crashing waves. There was something so peaceful about that afternoon, so calming and soothing.

5. Fantasy beach trip?

~Renting a big beach house like that with my kids and/or good friends for a week. Just sitting on the porch (there has to be a porch, preferably with a swing and a hammock) reading, taking long walks on the beach, eating seafood and fresh veggies.

3 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

I do #5 with friends every year now in South Carolina -- in May before it gets too hot -- and it truly is wonderful. Enjoyed your blogging.

Jan said...

The fog on the beach and Madeline L'Engle sound too too wonderful. I'll never have that opportunity now, but so glad you did.

kathy a. said...

my husband and i lived in south carolina for a few years, and a couple of friends' families had wonderful beach houses, with the big porches. they were terrific.