Sunday, August 05, 2007

So I did it

(this of course taken with Photo Booth)

After reading a bazillion reviews and a final consultation at the camera store, I bought the Canon XT. Instead of the kit lens I got a Canon 24-85 mm, which put me over my budget a bit and I hope will be worth it. The staff person who helped me also suggested a moderately priced telephoto lens when I am ready to get one (which I would do now if I thought I could afford it).

The camera store was nuts today. I would guess that Sunday may be their busiest day since they are closed on Friday evening and Saturday for Shabbat. But they are nothing if not organized and I've never been any place with so many staff people trying to assist customers in every possible way, including handing out snacks!

I've taken a few pictures but I need to spend some time figuring out how everything works. I will be playing with it a lot during the rest of my vacation!








ETA this night picture was enhanced with Photoshop, but the others weren't. I just couldn't get this one to come out right--lots of learning to come!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice camera! Glad the party went okay.

Caminante said...

I always loved peeking at the Empire State Building from Ninth Avenue.... In my room in Dehon, I could see if just so from my bed (which was right up against the window).

Scrivener said...

Yay! Congratulations!

ccw said...

Congratulations!!

Theresa Coleman said...

Great camera.
I love my camera.
Sometimes I can say things in pictures that I can't say in words...

OneTiredEma said...

Ah....so you went to B&H, did you? (I didn't click the link!) Don't you love that there is a cash vs other transactions line?

We bought our digital camera there about a bazillion years ago (when I was pregnant with Miss M) and it was a scene like you described--Sunday, crowded, except in December (!). Insane. My little pregnant self almost passed out from overheating in my coat while we were waiting to be helped. And I was instantly helped by 2 guys on the same volunteer ambulance squad as Taxman (based in Brooklyn, though).

Glad our fair city was kind to you!

Michelle said...

Ah...B&H provided my Canon, too. I, too, got the upgraded lense and it was a good thing. I have the telephoto and it is definitely a superb lens for the price, so I'd agree with the advice.

Mine came along on a hot, hot, hot hike today, and provided wonderful photos of a blue heron taking off...

Ianqui said...

I didn't see this until today, but nice camera! I bought mine at Amazon, but are they particularly Canon fans at B&H?