Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Like sands through the hourglass..

Today as I was running an errand at lunch time, I noticed how much it looks like September already -- something about the angle of the sun or the color of the sky or the just-beginning-to-fade green of the leaves. Where has the summer gone. Time is going by so fast, and a number of things have conspired lately to make me feel old(er)--well, sort of, because I swear inside I'm not a day over 35.

~While I was on vacation, my mother turned 80. 80. Amazing. My grandparents lived into their 80s, but my father didn't make it. There's just something about realizing your parent is 80 that makes you feel a bit more....well, older.

~I went to pick up the Kid's bus pass this afternoon (yes, school starts tomorrow) and as I walked out it hit me that I will only have to do that one more time. Next year he will graduate. This is startling enough (didn't he just start kindergarten?) but when you consider that because there are almost 16 years between Elder Son and the Kid, I've had a child in school every year for (if I count right) the last 27 years. So when the Kid graduates, it will be a major milestone for ME. I won't know how to act come September. Yeah, I know: He's only a junior this year, so I still have two more years, but the impact of his graduation really hit me today.

~If you've read NSLS's announcement, you'll know that I'm going to be a grandmother. I'm thrilled and excited and all that, but really, me? A grandmother? Couldn't be possible, could it? Truth is, I'm old enough and my kids are old enough that I could've been a grandmother years ago, but as I said, inside I'm not a day over 35.

~When my dad was my age, he was getting ready to retire; I, on the other hand, have barely started this career. I can't imagine retirning, but I suppose others my age are thinking about it. Too weird.

~Could we slow things down here, please?

9 comments:

chichimama said...

You seem so young to me!!!!

As I am just beginning my "real" school aged child career, I find it hard to imagine a time when I won't have a kid in school. Makes me blink hard.

Enjoy the last two years (or look forward to the end, or both :-) ).

susan said...

Think of all the blog posts all these life changes will generate! I quite agree with chichimama: you seem quite youthful to me, stories of grown children notwithstanding.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I made an SNL reference from the early 90's to my youth group a while back. When they didn't get what I was talking about, I realized most of them were not alive in the early 90's. Oi' Veh! Where does the time go.

J+

Sarah said...

Congrats on becoming a grandma! That's awesome. Lucky grandkid to have you for a granny (a word that will never fit you).

The Kid can not be close to graduating. Not possible. That makes me feel old.

S+

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly on The Kid thing. 11th grade really? Wasn't I just in 11th grade? Feels like it. Life is bizarre...

Yankee T said...

Too too fast. I'm with ya'.

ccw said...

Time certainly does move at a much faster pace the older you get. Kid L was an infant about two weeks ago and now she is almost my size.

Congratulations on your soon to be grandchild! I am so happy for your family.

Scrivener said...

Congratulations on becoming a grandmother! And on shepherding children through school for 27 straight years! Wow. I wonder how it will feel in September a couple years from now--I'd guess the emotions will be awfully complex.