Or tales of a neurotic shopper....
When I shop, especially for something that is a major purchase, I have to see all the possibilities before I can make a decision. I may very well buy the very first thing I saw, but I cannot possibly do that until I've explored every last alternative. This make shopping with me very difficult unless you happen to be the same way.
The internet is really a good thing for people who shop like I do-I can explore all the options in the comfort of my home, and often I can purchase whatever I decide on online as well. Since I don't always enjoy shopping, especially if malls are involved this is a Very Good Thing.
So, as I mentioned, I'm thinking about buying a DSLR, and I've been soliciting opinions and doing some research. This afternoon, my brain already being somewhat on the vacation that really doesn't start until Friday, I read camera reviews online while I waited for a 5:30 meeting. Even though I've narrowed choices to three, the more I read the more confused I get!
Okay, I don't really need 10 megapixels, but if I only get 6.1 (the Nikon D40) will that matter? And does it matter that the Nikon only saves JPEGs in 'basic' format? If I buy the Olympus E500 I can get two lenses for the price I would pay for just one with the other cameras, but are they really any good? And when the reviewers mention that the view finder is too small, is that a fatal flaw? Do I want to spend the extra $100 and get the D40 with two lenses? Are they any better than the ones with the E500? And is image stabilization in the camera body (Nikon and Olympus) superior to image stabilization in the lens (Canon)? Should I just buy the one that is clearly the most popular (Canon)? Oy vey!*
I've made up my mind and changed it a dozen times already. But here is my current plan. Sunday afternoon I'm going to the camera store and hold each of these cameras in my hands, check out the things that have been mentioned to the extent I can, and ask for recommendations. Then hopefully I can make a rational choice. Or more likely, go with my gut, because as a good INFP, that's what I usually do.
Meanwhile, I'm still open to all comments or recommendations.
*I do realize that any of the three cameras I'm considering will be more than adequate for my needs, but that doesn't stop me from obsessing!
5 comments:
I love your idea of holding them and using that as a decision making factor. Fiddle with the settings and see which camera's functions are set up in a more intuitive (for you) manner.
Based on previous comments, the Ken Rockwell site led me to the Nikon D40 in the first place.
I thought Nikon had stabilization in the lenses too? Is that wrong?
As for the olympus--I don't know anything about it, but how many lenses fit that camera? What if it turns out it's your favorite thing in the world and you want to get some particular new lens? In that case, you want a camera that's the most versatile re: lenses, and I suspect Nikon and Canon are best in that respect.
Definitely test out the user interfaces. I maintain that Canon is easier than Nikon.
Ianqui you could be right re the image stabilization....I've read reviews of a bunch of other cameras, and I could easily gotten mixed up!
Since I have a Canon now, I do know something about how they work, to the extent that the DSLR is similar to my "super zoom" (another new term I learned today--who knew that was what I have?!)
Brightstar, yes, he does say the D40 is the best in this class. It's clear that it and the XT are the most popular, but the reviewers are split about which is best. Maybe it's a toss-up!
The ones the NYTimes reviewed are all up one price bracket from where I'm looking.
Here's a piece of advice a computer expert gave me the first time I bought a computer: find out what kind of computers your friends have. Then if you have trouble figuring things out, you can ask them for help.
Post a Comment