From the RevGals, in the month of graduations and movings on...
1. Think back to the time you left High School, what were your hopes visions and dreams for your life/ for the world?
~I grew up during the Civil Rights era, the War on Poverty, the beginning of the women's movement, the end of the war in Vietnam. Always idealistic, I wanted to make a difference in the world. I dreamed of a world where there was peace, and where no one had to live in poverty. I thought a great deal about joining the Peace Corps.
~I also wanted a big family--lots of kids. I had a very idealistic vision of what that would look like, too. And I wanted more education.
2. Have those hopes visions and dreams changed a lot, or are some of them still alive and kicking?
~I still want to make a difference in the world, and I'm still idealistic, but I'm less optimistic about the chances for peace and an end to poverty.
~Personally, my life has been very different from what I would've predicted when I graduated from high school. I've gone back to school twice, and pursued two different career paths. I've lived lots of interesting places and I have wonderful children, but none of it has been the way I would've imagined. And who knows what is to come?
3. Hebrews 11:1 " Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. " Comforting, challenging or frustrating?
~Challenging.
4. If resources were unlimited, and you had free reign to pursue a vision what would it be?
~I've always wanted to endow scholarships--especially for women whose education might have been interrupted and who want to go back to school. And I would like to give two of my alma maters big ol' hunks of money. Lots of money.
~I've also dreamed about buying old houses and making them into nice but affordable apartments for people with moderate incomes. In the city where NSLS lives there are lots of old Victorian houses divided into apartments but they tend to fall into two categories--crappy places run by slumlords or very expensive places. I'd like to make something in between.
~On a personal note, if resources were unlimited I would live some place (probably in the city) where I could work part time and take more classes. I don't know if I want to earn another degree but there are things that I would still like to study, and I do better in classes than on my own.
5. Finally with summer upon us- and not to make this too heavy- share your dream holiday....where, when and who with...
~I would love to spend a summer in Iceland. Or even a winter. And I would love to travel through the British Isles and Austria and Germany. Again, if resources were unlimited...and if I had someone to go with.
~My more realistic but still very good holiday for this summer is to spend some time in Vermont and Maine with family and friends.
7 comments:
wow great play- Iceland is wonderful
and I love your # 4!!!
Yay! Looking forward to you coming up and seeing our house!
Wow... Iceland! I have never been there. It's on my list somewhere of places to go see 'someday'...
d
People I know who have been to Iceland loved it. And I know what you mean about wanting to make a difference...me too. Thank you for sharing in this reflection.
I was in a local gift shop awhile back and had the opportunity to eavesdrop on the owner's description of her vacation to Iceland; she loved it, and recommended it enthusiastically to the other customer...but she noted that you sometimes have to keep an open mind about the food.
I like your vision about the houses. And don't give up on the poverty and peace just yet :)
Rev. Dr. Mom, you wrote, "I don't know if I want to earn another degree but there are things that I would still like to study, and I do better in classes than on my own."
I have a BA, an MDiv, and almost a DMin, but all three times I felt I had to get OUT of school so I could continue my eduction. Just about the time I wanted to go deeper into a subject, the semester was over and I was "forced" in another direction in order to get that degree. Now I happily do in-depth explorations on my own.
After seminary (for the MDiv) at Emory's Candler School of Theology in Atlanta, I tried "Rev. Mom" on my children, but they balked. On the other hand, they were already grown when I started postgraduate study and found the idea of my ordination less surprising than I did.
Post a Comment