Friday, April 20, 2007

Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning. (Psalm 30:5b)

The RGBP Friday Five:

Tell us about five people, places, or things that have brought surprising, healing joy into your life

1. My mother-in-law, Iris who took me in as a daughter and friend, and long after my marriage to her son dissolved, remained my friend. Her irreverent sense of humor and her willingness to embrace whatever life offered with a willingness to make something good of it were immeasurably important to me, and a source of joy and support.

2. When I lived in Iceland, I was always struck by the beauty of my surroundings. Iceland is not a place that is on most people's top 10 lists of beautiful places, but there was something about it that fed my soul--the brilliance of the summer sky, the moss on the rugged hills, the wild flowers, the bright colors houses were painted. Iceland was the first place I lived as an independent (mostly) adult, and it was a good place for me

3. The same thing is true of Vermont. I interviewed for my job there in mid-March, just after a very large snowfall. The day I was being shown around it was bright and sunny and just below freezing--a gorgeous winter day. We drove up a hill and when we reached the top, the lake and the city stretched out before me--breathtaking. I still love that view, and it still speaks to me.

4. Walking the streets of NYC. This surprises even me, given how Iceland and Vermont spoke to me. But I often feel that way in NY, too. My second year in seminary it was my job to get bagels for the student run breakfast bar. I would leave my apartment about 6:45 am and walk the four blocks to the bagel market as the streets came alive. I passed the fish shop where fresh fish were being unloaded, and people walking their pets and kids setting off for school It was all so alive, and I always felt connected to something bigger than myself.

5. My friends. Sometimes I lament that I don't have life-long connections and I lament that I am not closer to my family, but in fact at every stage of my life I have had friends who have been sources of joy even as they have moved in and out of my life. At this point in my life I especially think of J who is perhaps my "oldest" friend and with whom I can reconnect almost instantly even though we see each other only every few years. And I think of D and J whom I met when I was at seminary, and whose friendship has continued to grow since I left there. With these friends I can truly be myself and know that I am accepted and valued, and that is a source of joy and healing.

Because I am not good at following directions, I have a couple more:

6. The day of my ordination to the diaconate, almost two years ago, was a day of special joy and affirmation. I was in a beautiful place; people came from all over to celebrate with me, and when the bishop laid his hands on me to ordain me I was filled with joy, and affirmation of what I was about.

7. And of course, my children who bring joy by their very being.

6 comments:

Iris said...

Hey, share as many joys as you want, Rev.Dr. Mom! I love you Mother-in-law's name! :) What a wonderful woman!

Unknown said...

nice play!

Unknown said...

No worries, five is arbitrary!

Rev SS said...

I think my ordination day was the very most joyful day ever in my life ... over 200 friends from my home church, the 3 I served part-time while attending seminary part-time for 6 years, and the church I was being ordained to serve full-time! I guess I needed at least 10 entries. -:)

Sr. Heather said...

Great play! I have wanted to go to Iceland for SO long. The pictures I see are so gorgeous.

janetgardiner said...

I am having troubles thinking about my M.I.Law. Good for you.