Saturday, April 14, 2007

More about food

~I appreciate all the comments to my recent post about remaining a vegetarian. And I welcome all tips for cookbooks, recipe sites, recipes and so forth--keep them coming!

~I actually have owned the Moosewood lowfat cookbook for a few years (and I've used it!). This week, because Phantom has mentioned it a few times and because this kind of food sounds appealing to me, I bought Olive Trees and Honey; because I love Indian food and a friend uses this cookbook, I ordered Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking , and I added the cookbook Ianqui recommended to my wishlist at Borders. So I do have some resources to inspire me. I love to eat--why is it so hard to be motivated to cook?

~I did make a big pan of roasted vegetables Thursday night, with mixed success. The okra, sweet potatoes, turnips and new potatoes were pretty good, the beets were so-so, and the eggplant was just awful--so bitter I couldn't eat it. I've roasted eggplant before and it's never been like that so I'm not sure what the problem was. Last night I made black bean soup based on the recipe Julie left in my comments earlier.

~The Kid, however, was invited out last night to eat BEEF. Go for it, Kid.

4 comments:

susan said...

I somehow missed that first post. I (vegetarian for 20+ years at this point) bought Jack Bishop's cookbook at Ianqui's suggestion and have been enjoying it, although his recipes tend to have a few more ingredients in them than some of the Moosewood recipes are (esp in Moosewood Cooks at Home). So they take a little bit more preparation, sometimes, but mostly go pretty quickly. I usually cook 3 different meals per week and then we eat them for lunch and dinner over the course of the week, which one night usually a pasta with sauce from the freezer.

Jeanne Lemlin's Quick Vegetarian Pleasures is a pretty good book, too. I usualy make one recipe a week from Lorna Sass' Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure, one from a Moosewood, and lately one from the still-relatively-new-to-me Jack Bishop book. That way I'm cycling through recipes.

The maiden said...

Rev. Dr. Mom--just discovered your blog, and love it. Best wishes on the vegetarianism. My son, who'll be 14 in June, has never eaten flesh or fish, and is going strong. If you need some spiritual encouragement, you might want to take a look at a couple of anthologies: Ethical Vegetarianism from Pythagoras to Peter Singer and Religious Vegetarianism from Hesiod to the Dalai Lama.

Phantom Scribbler said...

Oooo, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Indian cookbook. I really, really need a good Indian cookbook. I'm coasting on a few odd recipes and the cooking lesson I got from LG's Nepali babysitter years ago.

Anonymous said...

The two cookbooks I absolutely relied upon when I became a vegetarian almost 30 years ago were Maddhur Jaffrey's "World of the East Vegetarian Cooking" and Anna Thomas' "The Vegetarian Epicure" v. 2 (I never got around to purchasing vol. 1).

I still have my dog-eared and falling-apart copies on my cookbook shelf -- while I don't use them often as I used to, I do still use them and have been thinking of replacing them with fresh copies. (They are still available.)