~The wind is howling outside, and it's been raining quite hard for the last few hours. It seems we're having a nor'easter--not typical of April, but then nothing about winter and spring has been typical this year. I'm just hoping the power doesn't go off.
~I didn't go to church today. I can count on one hand the number of Sundays I haven't gone to church in the last 10 years, so it feels odd not to have been there. But I am technically "off" until Wednesday, and it would be even odder to show up. I thought briefly about heading to Nearby City to one of the big churches there for a change of scenery...but honestly when I woke up this morning and saw how grey and gloomy it was, and realized I didn't HAVE to get up, I just rolled over and went back to sleep.
~The weather forecast calls for rain for the next three days. It's funny--when I lived in the city and walked most places I didn't let rain stop me from going out, but here where I have to drive everywhere I'd just as soon stay home when the weather is nasty. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
~When I first joined Netflix I was impressed by how quickly the movies arrived...but now, not so much. And sending them back is even worse--it can take 7-10 days sometimes, and they aren't going that far. I don't know if it's the postal service or what. The result, though, is that this weekend would've been the perfect time to have a stash of videos to watch, but two of my three I'm allowed are in transit--the one that was supposed to be here Friday and the one I sent back last Tuesday. Sigh.
~So I spent most of the day on the couch reading--which is not a bad thing at all. I read mostly non-fiction today, and I realized that I haven't read a really good novel in a long time. Any suggestions?
4 comments:
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I read this for my book club last month and loved it.
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (although I thought I was surely the last person to need to read this--and I finally did).
My mom just read The March by E.L. Doctorow and liked it very much (now it's on my list).
Enjoy your time off!
I liked Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier, and if you like Cold Mountain you probably would too--or you could read that one too.
Have you read Housekeeping and Gilead?
The Netflix thing is a common problem. We had this happen when we were members and qucikly discovered that this is one of the most common complaints.
Not suprisingly the movies started arriving very rapidly when we upped our limit. We unsubscribed when it slowed down again.
My humble recommendation is "The Book of the Dun Cow," by Walt Wangerin. In the spirit of Animal Farm, a spiritual fable that's amazingly well done and SO doggone rich in symbolism!!!
Post a Comment