Some of you may recall that I became a vegetarian for Lent--or more precisely a more complete vegetarian since I had already quit eating most meat from mammals. So beginning Ash Wednesday I ate no meat, not even pseudo-meat (e.g, Boca burgers, Boca sausage, Morning Star Farms corn dog bites) because I wanted to see what it felt like to be really meat-less. I did eat fish on average once a week. And how did it go, you ask? Very well actually. I only missed meat twice--once at the very beginning of Lent when I really really wanted some homemade chicken noodle soup because I had a cold, and once last week when someone mentioned getting a BLT for lunch (bacon is probably my favorite--disgusting, huh?)
The other truth is that I cooked very, very little over the last six weeks. Nonetheless we ate out far less than we usually do. We ate lots of Lean Cuisine and lots of salad. I ate more cheese and more peanut butter than I normally would. I'm not a big cheese person, so that meant lots of Parmesan (my favorite cheese) in salads and in omelets--I also ate more eggs than usual--but still not a lot, a one egg omelet once or twice a week. We ate frozen pizza (actually quite good frozen pizza: California Kitchens White Pizza is excellent) with salad at least once a week.
You'd think with all the Lean Cuisine and salad I would have lost a few pounds, but alas, it wasn't that simple. I did lose a couple of pounds in March, but the trend did not continue --probably because of the peanut butter and pretzels I snacked on, especially the last two weeks when I was pretty stressed out. And my total lack of exercise.
The upshot of all this is that I have decided for now to continue as a vegetarian. Ianqui mentioned three exceptions to her vegetarianism: The Full Experience, Hospitality, and Survival. Those make a lot of sense to me, and I think those will work for me as well. The hospitality exception will likely be exercised more than the other two.
The Kid, knowing how much I like ham sandwiches and bacon, doesn't think I'll stick to it, but we'll see. The real challenge for me is motivating myself to start cooking again. I would just as soon stick a Lean Cuisine in the microwave, but I'm afraid that while their selection of vegetarian meals got me through six weeks, it might wear thin after a while. The Kid doesn't complain but he probably deserves home cooked meals more often than he gets them. Once upon a time I enjoyed cooking, and occasionally I still do. But on a daily basis, not so much.
Stay tuned for further developments on cuisine at chez Rev. Dr. Mom.
8 comments:
Do you have a crockpot? I have a ton of vegetarian recipes for the crockpot if you want me to email them to you. Easy and healthy, and you don't have to worry about them when you get home at night!
A couple of questions: Are you still planning on not eating meatlike soy products? Because being able to eat those really does make it easier (although honestly, I don't eat that much of it. Super G does, though, since he doesn't cook, and he takes soy turkey sandwiches for lunch). But sometimes the Tofurkey sausages or chik'nless nuggets are nice to have around.
If I can get around to it while I'm here, I can send you my list of bookmarks of good veggie recipes on the web. Otherwise I highly recommend "A Year in a vegetarian kitchen" by Jack Bishop.
And about the clauses--I guess people don't invite us over much, or else they're happy to make something veggie or fish when we do come over, so I actually invoked the hospitality clause for the first time ever last weekend here in BCN.
(I don't want to log in from this computer, but it's me, Ianqui.)
When I first became a vegetarian, I figured I would go ahead and eat meat if I was at someone else's house because I didn't want to be rude. But the first time I did this, I got sick because my body was not used to eating meat. So I found it easier to just tell people I was vegetarian. Hardly anyone just serves meat and nothing else for dinner -- I am happy eating the noodles or potatoes, the veggies, the salad, etc.
There are lots of great vegetarian cookbooks out now, although the traditional ones (Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen) are still my favourites.
Good luck! I couldn't do it. We just bought steaks in bulk at the local butcher. Yum.
Ianqui, I am eating fake meat now--I had Boca sausage for breakfast. And since I haven't eaten beef for years I do tell people, and as you say, most people are accommodating. And truthfully, I am happy to just eat whatever goes with the meat. But every once in a while people get all funny. It's like my not eating meat is a reflection on them somehow. Very weird.
NSLS, just couldn't do it--the very thought of a steak grosses me out. But it's probably been 5-6 years since I ate one.
I'm emailing you a terrific (if slightly difficult and time-consuming) recipe for a vegetarian dish that The Attorney and I both LOVE. The kids love it, too...but our kids love all food.
Oh by the way, can you send me the recipe for the garlic filled chicken soup?
Here's my super easy vegetarian black bean soup:
* an even number of cans of black beans
* a jar of salsa
Puree half of the cans of black beans. Drain the other half of the black beans. Combine all the black beans and the salsa. Heat.
You can top with sour cream and cheddar cheese and serve with tortillas if you feel like it.
It's my favorite vegetarian meal and it takes 10 minutes to make.
Enjoy!
Post a Comment