Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Random bullets--end of March edition

~I am soooo glad that March is almost over. I know many people bemoan February as the worst time of year, but March is loooooong, and around here, it's still not spring--it's gray and drab and cold and the weather is fickle. Our location with water on two sides means that this area is slow to warm up compared the rest of the region, which is slow enough on its own.

~Add to that the fact that March was ridiculously overbooked...some extra work thing every single weekend, and no time to take any comp time if I wanted to.

~The first part of April will be crazy busy, too, (but in a good way I think) what with Holy Week and Easter. But then I get some down time--a week off after Easter, and then later in the month three days at a clergy conference where I will get to meet our new Presiding Bishop and the president of the House of Deputies. I am psyched about that.

~I've been so tired when I get home at night that I don't want to do anything. The Kid got me watching Grey's Anatomy (he borrowed the first season and convinced me to buy the second season) so I've used that as stress relief. Pathetic, huh?

~The last few nights I've been playing with Photoshop (see below). I'm not artistic, but I've always wanted to be, and making pictures look like "art", even bad "art" is fun....but it also feels a bit like cheating...sort of like doing paint by numbers. I mean I'm not actually doing anything artistic at this point--just applying filters to my pictures, which anyone could do.

~I keep toying with the idea of going ahead and buying a DSLR...I can't really afford it, but will I ever be able to? Eh. I don't really want to be rich (good thing!) but I wish I could sometimes buy things like that without analyzing it and agonizing about it for months first. I did the same thing before I bought my new laptop.

~I think I've been in a little bit of a funk all winter, and it's mostly related to work. I don't feel like I can blog about it in any detail here, but I've whined about it often enough over at Phantom's. Sometimes I wonder if it's just me being difficult. But I don't think so.

~I was miserable my first semester of grad school because I had chosen my program poorly. I thought about that the other day for the first time in a long time because on my worst days that is what I feel like now. But that was just one semester and then I changed programs. Changing jobs is not that simple for a variety of reasons.

~On the other hand when I started my academic job and when I started seminary I KNEW I was in the right place doing the right thing at the time. Is it too much to hope for that again?

6 comments:

Prisca said...

NOT too much to hope for. Hang in there and keep discerning. I'm thinking good thoughts for you!

Anonymous said...

This is interesting to read...and well Easter is also coming up in a while now...and it's great to see people getting excited about it...and share some of this wonderful spirit just drop by my blog on Easter Greetings sometime and check out all that i've posted there!!!

Anonymous said...

You changed grad programs?

Hope things change soon. You are welcome to come up here for part of your week off after Easter if you want!

Rev Dr Mom said...

Not schools....but programs with in the department--area of specialization.

Snickollet said...

March has always been my least favorite month, too. I always think it's the start of spring, but really it's the end of winter.

I hope works gets better along with the weather.

susan said...

March is the new February, as far as I'm concerned. I am going to be so very happy when April starts!!

You are not hoping for too much! Jobs are so complicated--especially jobs like yours that have so many facets--and I imagine it can take a while to decide whether you are in the right place or not.