I am usually a punctual person, and I know how to get out of the house fairly quickly in the morning. I've managed 8:00 am classes when it meant getting kids to daycare and commuting 30 minutes beforehand. I can be ready for a 7:00 am communion breakfast, and I 'm often the first one to arrive at social events. So why, if I don't have a definite time to be somewhere, does it take me fireplacing forever to get out of the house?
Like today. I had to drive to City in Smallest State to make a hospital visit, and I thought I would leave early, have lunch with a friend after my visit and still be back by mid afternoon. But for no reason that I can see, (okay I answered one email and read one blog, but that's it!) I couldn't seem to get myself out of the house until 10:15 and then I had to put gas in the car which of course required me to go in the opposite direction of where I was heading. It all worked out fine (had lunch first and then did the visit; got home before 5) but I still found myself wondering about it as I cruised along.
Perhaps this is related to whatever it is that makes me unable to write a sermon until the very last minute. Maybe I need a firm deadline looming to get my act together. And artificial deadlines don't work. I've tried.
Anyone else like this?
7 comments:
It has always been my firm conviction that only really smart people can be procrastinators... hence my need to be early and my desire to get stuff done early. I've never been motivated by deadlines, just paralyzed by them. So I guess I'm saying that you must be very intelligent! :)
I have the same issues. I HATE being late, and am early every where, but if there is no specific time, it takes me all day to get someplace or do something.
I aways thought about how much more impressive my work would be if I could start ahead of time, but I just can't.
I think you passed this trait on your lovely daughters. I certainly have the same problem. If I don't have a deadline, why bother? Doesn't work too well when you're working from home. Ugh.
Ahem. Issues with procrastinating? No, no nothing to see here...
Do you know that old Douglas Adams quote? "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they fly by."
My roomie in grad school had on her wall this button:
'The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.'
Great life motto.
Being in a small congregation will absolutely smash any ahead of time preparation out of a person. And going to Central America a lot will do the coup de grĂ¢ce.
I so hear you.
Somethings I'm really good about being on time about, and then others--it's like my ENFP completely takes over and I'm unable to complete any task or get anywhere.
Post a Comment