Saturday, November 25, 2006

Short on words

Having spent several hours today writing a sermon, I am feeling somewhat short on words. That can only mean one thing for today's post: random bullets.
  • The downside of not cooking Thanksgiving dinner is no leftovers. We did bring home the leftover dressing and cranberry sauce, but the Kid polished those off in no time. I do kind of miss leftovers.
  • Of course, the plus side of no leftovers is that I can't overindulge. But pie for breakfast sounds really good!
  • With the exception of going to get my hair cut, I've managed to stay away from any and all shopping centers this weekend. Sales or no sales, I cannot imagine the attraction of being at the mall this weekend.
  • My optimism stemming from the elections is waning with each stupid thing the Democrats manage to do before they ever take control of Congress. Enough with the in-fighting already. The Dems have less than two years to demonstrate that they can accomplish something and they can't afford to squander any of that time.
  • Growing up in the south means the when I hear the word 'squash' I think of yellow crookneck squash--you know, summer squash. So all this talk of 'squash soup' and 'baked squash' takes some getting used to--although it all sounds good.
  • Growing up in the south also meant that I never tasted pumpkin pie til I was an adult (maybe that was just a peculiarity of my family). We always had sweet potato pie but I prefer pumpkin. I like almost anything made out of pumpkin.
  • We also had pecan pie and we pronounced it "pea-can"--none of this pe-cahn' stuff for us. I love pecan pie, but I've discovered that it's even better if you substitute some maple syrup for some of the corn syrup.
  • Thanksgiving Day 1989 I ran 7 1/2 miles. That was the high point of my short running career, and the high point of my physical fitness--it's been all down hill since then. I don't think my knees or back could take running any more, but it felt good when I did it.
  • I've been feeling especially lumpish today, which may be why I thought about running. I should walk more, but I haven't been able to motivate myself to do it consistently. Having my friend's dogs here during the summer got me walking more than anything. I've been looking into getting a puppy, but it hasn't worked out yet.
  • This is getting kind of long, condsidering I said I was short on words. So I'll stop now.
  • Except to add that Blogger's spell checker is the lamest ever. Just saying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dh is from Arkansas. He made a delicious "pea-can" pie for Thanksgiving. Pie for breakfast -- great idea!

So true about the Dems, btw...

Anonymous said...

I remember when you ran that Thanksgiving. Pretty cool.

mc said...

So what did you call butternut and other winter squashes? Or did you just not talk about them?!?

Anonymous said...

While you don't have to do the two-week long 15 mile/day stints with a 20-pound pack that I do once a year, walking really is a restful, mindless activity. Best yet, all you need is a pair of decent walking shoes/boots. A three-mile walk is good enough to get the cobwebs out of my brain. And this comes from someone who absolutely hates running.