Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday Five

As posted by reverendmother at RevGalBlogPals, this is a "Black Friday" Five (aka Buy Nothing Day) in honor of the busiest shopping day of the year:

1. Would you ever/have you ever stood in line for something--tickets, good deals on electronics, Tickle Me Elmo?

Not stood in line myself, but tried to get something scarce for my kids.

I've never thought it essential for my kids to have whatever all the kids were getting or whatever was the hot item of the year, and I tried to talk to my kids about those things. But there were a few times when the hot item seemed to be something that would be special for my kids. The year that Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage, even my mother who worked at Big Box Toy Store could not get any for us. (But unbeknownst to me their step-grandmother had managed to acquire two, so the Lovely Daughters didn't do without.)

My father stood in line for me twice: once to get a Transformer that was hot, and once to get Laser Tag, both for Elder Son. But even with lines, things were a little less cutthroat than they seem now.

I might stand in line to get tickets to some very very special event, but I cannot think of any thing I would stand in line to buy these days.

2. Do you enjoy shopping as a recreational activity?

Not really. Sometimes I like browsing, but it's not the same as shopping. I buy as much as possible on-line these days to avoid stores.

3. Your favorite place to browse without necessarily buying anything.

Antique stores, cool craft stores. My mil and I used to browse antique stores together. I like old things with character. And used book stores, where I do also occasionally buy.

4. Gift cards: handy gifts for the loved one who has everything, or cold impersonal symbol of all that is wrong in our culture?

Handy for people who might need/or want something I can't afford to give them, but a gift card would help them get it. Or if my kids want clothes for a gift--no way could I pick them out. Or for nephews whom I rarely see.

5. Discuss the spiritual and theological issues inherent in people coming to blows over a Playstation 3.

A sign of the crass materialism and over commercialization of our world? Honestly, what is important enough to come to blows over?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In a world where people in SUVs don't always bother to look around and see if other cars are coming, nothing surprises me.