Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Names and titles

~Have you noticed how Senator Clinton is called "Hilary" and the other candidates are addressed by their last names? I'll admit that I've done it, too. And I know better.

~A commentator on NPR the other day pointed out that the Clinton campaign itself branded her "Hilary". This commentator also noted that even if it is her choice, using her first name only works against her being perceived equally as authoritative as the male candidates.

~I've seen this in academia and in the church as well. In Vermont we had one of the first women bishops in the Episcopal Church and she was adamant about being addressed in the same way a male bishop would be and not just by her first name. But it was an uphill battle.

~In my parish it's that way, too. My rector doesn't particularly want to be called Father Name--he'd just as soon go by his first name. But there is a contingent of parishioners who insist on using the title, so Father First Name or Father Last Name he is. But do you thing a single one of them has EVER thought to call me Mother Name? Not once. Even after parents asked me what their children should call me and I responded that they should use a title if they would for the rector, or just my name if that's what they would do for the rector.

~It's not that I mind being called by my first name--I don't mind at all. I just want to be treated the same way my male boss is treated. We're both priests.

~But what do you think would happen if we started referring to "Barack" and "John" and "Dennis"? It seems odd even as I type them. "MItt?" "Rudy?" It isn't going to happen.

4 comments:

chichimama said...

Interesting post. Although I'm not totally convinced that it works against Clinton.

We do call our assistant rector Mother XYZ, the Rector insists upon it. But there is a contingent that refuses to use Father and Mother and calls them both Reverend. All very confusing to me, the former Unitarian.

Rev Dr Mom said...

The particular title matters less to me than that people treat both (all) the clergy the same--or faculty--or candidates.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have noticed that. Drives me batty. The first time I said "Hilary" I was horrified with myself. Never did it again!

Scrivener said...

I had assumed the campaign pushed to call her "Hillary" in order to distinguish her from Bill as much as anything, and to some extent that might be true of the media. Just as The Chimp is referred to as Dubya because if they called him "Bush" everyone would be looking around for his father. No one is ever going to be confused about who they are referring to when they say Obama.

That doesn't really invalidate your point about using first names to undermine authority, though. And I'm sure that is also a factor in the current campaign.