(as some of you have already noted here and elsewhere--thanks!) I don't usually call attention to my birthday. We're not big celebrators in our family, and it's been a long time since I had a cake or presents or a party. But I've been thinking a bit about age lately and now seems as good a time as any to talk about it.
I'm 55 today. That sounds so OLD. My dad retired when he was 55 (mandatory retirement age for his job). I cannot even begin to imagine retirement. I just got started. I've done so many things in my life out of sequence--late mostly: college late, grad school late, first decent job late, ordination late, but some early (notably marriage and kids, although I did kids both ways, the first three when I was relatively young, and the last one in my late 30s.). I've always had friends who were older and younger than I--now I have friends who are the same age as my children. So even though I am firmly middle age, I don't see myself that way. Since NSLS announced that I would be a grandmother, I've taken to saying that I'm not a day over 35 inside. And if 60 is the new 40, then I guess that's about right.
The negative thing about this is that I've seen ageism on both ends--and I don't like it. It's especially hard as a newly ordained person. People complain that young clergy aren't always taken seriously, but the same is true for people like me. And while I want my younger colleagues to have lots of opportunites, to be taken seriously, I want those opportunities, too. I'm not included in many things targeted to more recently ordained people because I'm too old. And while there's a Young Women's Clergy Project, if there's one for older women, I sure don't know about it. Please don't think I am criticizing this project, either--I think it's wonderful. I'm just a bit envious. I'm not ready for the AARP or the let's-talk-about-retirement group. My interests and experiences are all over the place, which means that sometimes I don't fit in anywhere exactly.
The good part of my age (and I am truly grateful for every year I get) is that I do feel like I've learned some things over the years. I'm more comfortable in my own skin now. I could wish I'd acheived that earlier, but I didn't. And I look forward to doing much much more.
Because I'm an idealist, I wish for a world in which people weren't categorized and pigeon-holed by age...or gender or sexual orientation or ethnicity or nationality....but I'm not hopeful that world will be achieved any time soon.
Meanwhile, I think we should have a party here. Virtual cake, anyone?
18 comments:
Virtual cake sounds wonderful! I was ordained at 52...and I am just sorry I get so few "swings" at the lectionary. I'm sitting here thinking, "well, this is my last whack at Matthew..."
Never mind, if we're 25, 45, 55, 65, all we have is today; let us rejoice and be glad in it! and a most happy birthday to you!
I have similar feelings about not fitting neatly into categories - I cross boundaries all over the place, and try to view that as an asset, but often that's not the way the world is structured. Wishing you a very happy birthday!
First - love and good wishes for a happy birthday and an even better year.
I'm another one who came into this ministry gig late... I'm told I don't look my 47, and as I'm still too often the youngest person in my congregation it's too easy to believe that I'm actually 30 something till I recognise that my beloved firstborn is nearly 21...and that she and her friends are among my best friends to hang out with...Not ready to think "middle age"...Let's by all means dismantle the boxes and send them to be recycled and just relish the now we are given!
I hope to be as comfortable in my own skin someday, as you are in yours. That's a notable achievement, truly.
Happy Birthday.
I love your life path, where it has led you, the experiences you have had. It makes you such an interesting person.
Happy birthday, again. I just took a HUGE slice of virtual cake and added some virtual ice cream :).
Happy birthday! As someone else who really wishes I could have been more comfortable in my own skin earlier in life, I really have to thank you for showing your younger friends that it is possible to continue growing and changing as you discover new parts of yourself.
Virtual birthday cake all around!
happy birthday!
Cake for you! Happy birthday!
Cake all around! And ice cream! And big doses of self-confidence.
Happy Birthday! I might have the opportunity to take a Snow Day tomorrow. If so, then I will do so in honor of your birthday.
Happy (belated) birthday!
I think having friends of all ages is really nice. I personally like being the "experienced" one in some situations and the "babe in the woods" somewhere else. Good balance.
Happy happy birthday!
My dad turned 76 yesterday -- you are both in good company!
Perhaps we should start a Clergy Project for women whose qualifications differ from those of our younger sisters! If all goes well, I will be looking toward ordination at 57 and I know that my concerns and challenges will differ considerably from those I faced as a young lawyer quite some time ago.
BTW, I have chocolate chocolate chip ice cream with me for the party.
Happy Birthday, rdm!
I know how you feel about age and ministry. Ordained at 41, now 46, I feel I'm neither seasoned enough for my age nor as interesting as young pastors. But God called us, and there are things for us to do. I believe it.
I'm late to the party (was travelling) but wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday. You share the date with my husband - a lovely day for a birthday.
May this be your best year ever!
Dani
Happy birthday! Lighting virtual candles!!
oooh, I'm late (what's new?), but Happy Birthday!!!
Is there cake left, I'm not too big nor old to lick the plate for crumbs...
Damn, I'm late! But happy birthday!!!!
A very happy belated birthday to you!
Post a Comment