Saturday, November 14, 2009

Missing the birds

Long-time readers will remember that I fed quite a varied bunch of birds at my last place. When I moved here I set up my feeding station in the back yard and waited to see what would show up. And waited. And waited. For a few weeks it seemed as though there were no birds around. Finally I noticed that the suet was being nibbled on--and sure enough I spotted a hairy woodpecker feasting on it from time to time.

It took about six weeks for one feeder to be emptied--a feeder that was often empty after a day or two before. I've seen a tufted titmouse, and a white-breasted nuthatch, and I think a chickadee. And that's it. No cardinals. No finches. No bluejays. Nada.

The area is largely residential but there are enough woods around that we saw a deer in the field behind the church the first week we were here. I'm afraid the big black cat who lives next door might be part of the problem--he roams freely in my yard and theirs. But I'm hoping that word will spread in the 'hood that there's lots of birdseed to be had here and perhaps some more birds will show up. And I'm really hoping for some orioles next spring!

1 comment:

Deirdre said...

Patience--they will come!