Beginning with Palm Sunday and ending with Easter Sunday, I will have 12 services to participate in (but only 3 sermons which is actually fewer than some years). While I love Holy Week, there is no question that it is exhausting. This week's FF asks faced with such a busy week:
1. What restores you physically?
Naps will be important this week. In seminary I mastered the five minute power nap, but I don't take advantage of them often enough. And I need to make extra effort to get to bed on time (something that sounds so simple, but as regular readers here will know, something I'm not good at.)
2. What strengthens you emotionally/ mentally?
Preparing for liturgies is hard work, but participating in them is often restorative. Being part of a loving congregation helps, too. And having a mentor and friends who understand what the week is like (and the extra stresses I have right now) is immensely helpful.
3. What encourages you spiritually?
Same as # 2. And trying to remember what this week is really all about--not all the details that make us crazy, but celebrating new life and all that means for us.
4. Share a favourite poem or piece of music from the coming week.
This prayer is not for Holy Week, but it is one I've been praying a great deal lately (and I think I posted it earlier.)
MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
~Thomas Merton
5.There may be many services for you to attend/ lead over the next week; which one are you most looking forward to and why? If there aren't do you have a favourite day in Holy week if so which one is it?
The Great Vigil of Easter is always my favorite part of Holy Week, and this year it will be even more special because I am baptizing my granddaughter, the wonderful Baby J.
1 comment:
Thank you for this post.
I spent too many hours this past week doing the bulletins for the various services between now and next Sunday (among various other crises du jour) and I needed to be reminded that the prep work does not have to obscure the beauty and the sadness and joy that this week brings to me once again.
The Merton prayer, too - it has long been a favorite, but it seems to have slipped out of my rotation, just when I need it most.
You are a blessing.
Post a Comment