Wednesday, December 03, 2008

So let's have a party!

~I've been way too grumpy around here lately, and tomorrow (well, in just a few minutes) is my birthday. Used to be I would never tell anyone it was my birthday, but last year I decided to hell with that, and now I am announcing it. So let's have a virtual birthday party. I'll bring the cake and champagne, you just drop by and visit.

~To get ready for my birthday I made macaroni and cheese for 40! Yes, that is a lot of macaroni (six pounds) and cheese (three pounds) (plus nine eggs and six cups of milk and three sticks of butter). It's only coincidentally for my birthday. Tomorrow we're having an Advent dinner at church and thinking that it would be a very small group (as these things usually are) I thought I'd cook for it. I put up a sign-up sheet as we usually do, but by end of coffee hour Sunday, only about 5 people had signed up--and that's too small a group. So I started walking around asking everyone who was still there if they could come (something I don't normally do) and when two women hemmed and hawed and said, "why this week?" I said without thinking, "Because it's my birthday" which actually has nothing to do with it at all. Then they immediately said, "Oh, yes,we'll come and can we bring cake?" and then I felt a little bit guilty (but I said yes to the cake anyway). Then on Monday I had the parish administrator send an email out reminding people about the event, and suddenly we have 40 people coming. Holy cow. Really I'm thrilled, but that sure upped the ante on the mac and cheese.

~I think I might be rambling here, and that would be because I'm tired, since I only got done making the mac and cheese at 10:30 and this is the first down time I've had all day.

~It being my birthday means that it is only three weeks until Christmas. Yikes! Lots to do between now and then. And today I invited the choir to come to my house between the services on Christmas Eve--what was I thinking? Oh well, it will be fine, and it will give me an excuse to have a nice big tree even though we aren't really doing Christmas here (because we are going to NSLS's house when I am done working Christmas Day).

~Now I really should go to bed. It won't do to be tired and grumpy on my birthday.

10 comments:

klj said...

Happy Birthday from a long time lurker/reader!

BrightStar (B*) said...

mmm... mac & cheese...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday!!! I hope it's a lovely, lovely day!!

Mary Beth said...

Happy Birthday to YOU! So glad we got to meet this year, although briefly. Best wishes for a great day and lots of people to eat the mac & cheese. And bring cake. :)

Mom to Baby J said...

Happy Birthday, Mama! Hope it's a good one...I'll call you later.

Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday - have a great day

Snickollet said...

Happy early b-day!

Mac'n'cheese for forty + cake sounds like a heck of a celebration to me!

susan said...

Many happy returns!

Sr. Heather said...

Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Hope your special day was wonderful!