Saturday, December 06, 2008

Holiday extravaganza...

~Today was the annual holiday extravaganza, full of wreathes, greenery, crafts, baked goods and the like. The women of the church spend most of the preceding months getting ready for this event; it is the THE event of the season, and all of the proceeds are used to support charities. Despite much moaning and gnashing of teeth about the lack of volunteers leading up to today, the event was a smashing success.

~One feature of the extravaganza is a silent auction. This year a few people donated antiques, which attract a whole lot more interest from me than most new things would. I bid on (and won!) a set of antique wooden blocks, and a rocking chair. Not sure where I'm going to put the rocking chair, but I really like the style of it, and it fits my body--and I got it for just a bit over the opening bid.

~Tonight I've been browsing the web for Christmas gifts. I might actually get most of my shopping done online. That would be awesome!

~My mother called me tonight, too, to wish me a happy birthday. Readers of this blog may remember that my mother and I have a ....well, delicate relationship. This call went fine--it was very brief--but I had to laugh afterward because my mother apparently has moved to a whole new apartment in a different building in her assisted living facility, which means a whole new address. She doesn't remember when she moved. And she's not sure if her phone number is different--which means I will need to check caller id from when she called, and see if that number matches what I have. I found this out from an offhand comment she made,which led to a question from me. I guess it's a good thing I can laugh about it.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

So glad the fair went well. I have a set of antique blocks that I played with at my grandmother's...and several generations of family kids did before me. I love them. :)

Unknown said...

I came home with a pair of pillows covered by shams hand-quilted by the sexton's late wife. Sounds like you had very good stuff at yours!
And re: your mom, oy.