Today is my day off, and mostly what I've done all day is sit on the couch. I watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy, and one of Extreme Home Makeover (that might be worth a post of its own), read blogs, searched deployment websites, spent some time on Facebook, and thought about my sermon. I also did a couple of loads of laundry, and took some things to be mended, so I wasn't totally unproductive.
There are lots of things that needed to be done--buying a tree, although it rained until late afternoon, which is not so conducive to tree buying, working on that pageant script, actually getting my sermon written, wrapping the presents I've bought so far, getting the rest bought, more laundry, meal planning and grocery shopping. But I did none of those things. And what I hate is not that I didn't do them, but that I feel vaguely guilty for not doing them.
And I'm as tired as if I'd worked hard all day, which is dumb. And I have a bit of a headache. Ack.
What I really need is a day off with nothing that needs to be done. Is that even possible? Do we live in a world in which we are destined to feel behind and guilty for not working?
1 comment:
It's a discipline to push those work thoughts away and really take the day off. Sometimes I do better than others. Today was pretty good, because I got involved with cookie-baking instead of house-cleaning or laundry or whatever else. I always get at least one call from the office on Friday (usually more), but that will change soon when the admin's schedule changes and she has that day off, too. Otherwise, I just keep pushing back on the thoughts. We live in a world that wants us to be addicted to our work, and it's up to us to say we do enough the other six days.
Post a Comment