~And today I seem to have caught the Kid's cold..actually I caught it yesterday. I could feel it coming on; I did an early service with a group that meets each week for Eucharist and breakfast, and we had a wonderful discussion, one that energized me when I went into my office to catch up on end of the week/get ready for the weekend details. Mid-morning I started sneezing and I realized that I suddenly needed a nap very badly. I felt better after I ate some lunch, but by mid-afternoon I was dragging, so I came home. And today I have mostly languished on the couch blowing my nose and watching The Vicar of Dibley.
~Which I can watch because I finally joined Netflix. I haven't had a TV in ages (10 years) and I don't go to the movies that often. So I decided to catch up on some things I've missed. In my queue I have the first seasons of Grey's Anatomy and West Wing and I've got the first episodes of 24 here waiting for me to watch. Yeah, I know I'm still waaaaaay behind. Probably always will be, but that's okay. (Feel free to make other recommendations of things I should see).
~After several years of being a flexatarian/ selectatarian/ semi-vegetarian, I decided to give up all meat for Lent--not because I see it as a hard thing to do, but more because it's just a good time to do something I've been thinking about for a while. But tell me, vegetarian readers, what do you do when you're feeling blah and a good bowl of therapeutic chicken soup seems in order? That contingency I didn't anticipate.
~I've spent far too much time this week reading press releases, pastoral letters, emails and blogs about all the goings on in the Anglican Communion. And I am heartsick. I will spare you the details (they are readily available on line if you're interested) but as a Christian and Episcopalian of the progressive sort, I am heartsick over the position the Episcopal Church has been put by the Primates, who in my view want to make the Anglican church something it has never been. The price for unity may be too high for us to bear.
~I haven't been to my favorite city in almost a year, and I long to go. I have some time off after Easter, but as luck would have it (and because my boss is oblivious to such issues and scheduled time off without consulting me) the Kid doesn't have the same week off that I do. I may just have to go without him...
~I may fix another cup of tea and take my computer to my bed and watch 24...or just go to sleep early...hopefully I will feel better tomorrow, because I have to work tomorrow afternoon and evening.
13 comments:
Hope you're feeling better soon.
I've turned to miso occasionally and found that it did the trick. But I never liked chicken soup when I wasn't a vegetarian (or soup at all, really -- the picky eating, they come by it naturally in my house), so I may not be the best sample.
Sympathy on the blog-as-sausage situation. Been there, done that.
I second the miso suggestion. On my vegetarian stints, that is what I have done.
Sorry you are feeling blah, I think it is just February. Grey's Anatomy is fantastic, I just watched the first two seasons over the past few months. 24 I couldn't get through.
Feel better soon...
So sorry you're feeling sick. But, hello, Vicar of Dibley! That should be good for what ails ya.
I have decided, in regards to Anglican Communion stuff, to be of good cheer. I'm not sure why, and I'm working with no new data here, but that's my mood du jour.
Hope you feel better Mom. Sorry I didn't call you about meeting up with us. Things have been a little chaotic.
I hope you like Grey's. I love it!
Poor you...feel better soon.
The Primates thing is just wretched...I love ++Rowan dearly, having been privileged to meet him a few times before he was translated or whatever, but I'm really disappointed that he's been steered like this...and I can't see a way forward for liberals here in the C of E if things continue like this. Sad and scary times :-(
Vicar of Dibley! Netflix! I think it'll be time for a rewatch once I've run out of Rome
Hope you feel better soon.
I know what you mean with the sausage thing, have felt that way myself off'n'on for awhile now. Hope you feel better soon!
Feel better soon!
And yes, blame February. It's an ickle month. But it's almost.over.just.a.few.more.days!
I adore The Vicar of Dibley. It just makes me laugh and laugh.
Hope your weekend was an improvement over Friday!
This is one of my favorite soups ever. I make it about every other week from October through March.
I'm with Phantom, I never loved chicken soup, but here's a wacked out idea: matzo ball soup. It's a comfort food in many ways (admittedly an ethnic one), and can easily be made with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. (I don't have a recipe right here, but I'd be happy to help you find one if you want.)
There's also a comfort soup from my childhood involving V8 juice as the base, cutting up any appropriate vegetables (potatoes, celery, carrots, zucchini, corn, etc) and two handfuls of barley. Mmmmm. SO good on a cold day.
Hmmm...I hope you feel better soon!
YOu know, the snowy photos you posted seem like a good metaphor for the mood you're in: so much snow and white and grey, with flashes of color here in a few photos (like the lovely cardinal at the feeder). May you find the brightness where it is, and use it to sustain you as you muddle your way through all the snowy fuzz.
And perhaps the virtual soup pot will be good for what ails you? I like vegetarian shepherd's pie (with mashed potatoes and tofu and gravy) for comfort at times like this, but these soup suggestions sound yummy, too.
I have the Feb. blahs, too. We've had a couple of sunny days here in Boston and it's really helped me.
Sending you warm thoughts.
Post a Comment