There's a small pond behind our house. During the summer it's impossible to get to it because of all the catbriars (I just learned what they were called) and other undergrowth. We really can't even see it in the summer. But in the winter it's visible from the kitchen window, especially now when it's frozen.
I've met someone who grew up in this house, and she says she used to ice skate on the pond some winters. Last winter the pond froze but it never looked solid enough to walk on. This year, even though until recently the weather was unseasonably warm, once it got cold it got really cold, and the pond looks like it is frozen solid. I'm still a bit nervous about trusting the ice. I mean , how do you know when it's solid enough to walk on? And I have no idea how deep the pond is. But the Kid has been dying to try it out, so this afternoon we walked back there. He didn't go very far out but it was pretty solid on the edges.
10 comments:
That's crazy! I can't even figure out where that pond is when I come visit. Pretty cool though. Too bad you don't have any ice skates.
I saw people snowmobiling across our local pond a couple of weeks ago, when it had only been cold for a few days. I couldn't help wonder what in hell they're thinking. I bet a social scientist would find that there's almost no overlap between "people who have read Little Women" and "people who have fallen through ice."
great picture.
Brave! I wouldn't do that.
If you look really closely you'll see that he is holding onto the tree branch. But he did let go and a bit further after that.
That was very brave!
PS, heeheehee.
Hubster has ice measurement down to a science. He uses a power drill with a long bit to make a hole in the ice in order to measure the thickness.
We follow these guidelines:
When air temp is 0-30 degrees,
1.75" thick is safe for one person
2.75" for two
3.75" for a crowd
When air temp is 30-40 degrees,
2.75" for one person
3.75" for two
4.75 for a crowd
This has worked for us for 30 years.
Have fun!
Cool shot!
That is a great picture!
Well, we have doofuses (doofi?) aroud here who climbed onto the ice of a pond in apark after the day had gotten up to 50 degrees, and then were shocked-- SHOCKED! I tell you!-- to find themselves neckdeep in cold but obviously not solid water.
I feel sorry for the firefighters who had to rescue them....
So the Kid took the drill out and drilled a hole with the longest drill bit he could find, and figures the ice is at least 2 inches deep, probably deeper. So he walked out to the little island without problem. He's going to borrow a longer drill bit and see if he can figure out just out think the ice is.
Post a Comment